Subject: Joans Red Beans and Brown Rice
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Dec 1999 13:09:33 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]
from USA

Joans Red Beans and Brown Rice

serves 10 to 12
 
1 lb red dried beans- soaked overnight,drained and then cooked till soft and 
tender
2 cups long grain raw brown rice- prepared to package directions
1 cup chopped onions
minced garlic
1 large can of crushed tomatoes( juice and all)
1/2 cup vegetable stock or beef or chicken stock
olive oil to taste
1 cup cooked corn
seasonings to taste:
salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, parsley
Optional ingredients: chopped green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, cooked 
sausages

We make this vegetarian but the addition of sausage or some kind of cooked 
chopped meat will be very tasty also. In a large pot, saute onions and garlic. 
If desired add and saute some bell peppers and mushrooms. Add cooked drained 
rice.  Then 1/2 of beans which have been mashed and then remainders of unmashed 
beans. Add tomatoes, stock, oil and seasonings to taste. Add cooked corn last. 
Stir and heat until everything is hot and blended. If desired you can stir in 
sliced cooked sausages etc. This make a large pot and may be frozen.   

Visit our web page: personal as well as culinary topics
http://www.pipeline.com/~rosskat/

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ  posted each week  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.