Subject: Rabbit (6) Collection
From: "Robin Cowdrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Feb 2000 19:24:59 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Rabbit Stew with Raisins and Pine Kernels
Hannah Glasse's Rabbit Casserole With Orange
Sweet-Sour Rabbit (Or Hare) Italian Style, With Chocolate
Hare With Cream In The German Style
Jugged Hare (Or Rabbit) With Forcemeat Balls
Rabbit With Mustard

Rabbit Stew with Raisins and Pine Kernels

1 1/2 pounds rabbit meat, off the bone
flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 stick of celery, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
5 fl oz game or chicken stock
5 fl oz red wine
a handful of seedless raisins
2 tablespoons pine kernels

Cut the rabbit meat into large chunks and dust with flour. The easiest way
to do this is to put the meat in a plastic bag, add the flour and shake.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry quickly, over high heat, till golden at the
edges. Transfer to a deep, ovenproof casserole.
Add the onions to the frying pan, with a little more oil if needed, and fry
till soft and golden. Add the celery and continue to cook for 2 minutes,
then add the vinegar, stock and wine. Bring to the boil, add the fruit and
nuts and scrape the bottom of the pan to dislodge any delicious crusty bits
into the sauce. Season with salt and black pepper and pour over the rabbit.
Place in a preheated oven at 1800C/3500F/Gas Mark 4 and cook for 30-40
minutes till the sauce has reduced a little. Serve with mashed potatoes and
peas or wide noodles such as pappardelle.

Contributor: Real Food - Nigel Slater

Yield: 2 servings

Hannah Glasse's Rabbit Casserole With Orange

1 rabbit, jointed seasoned flour
3 oz. butter or lard
1/4 pint dry white wine
beef stock
pepper, salt
bouquet garni
1 oz. butter
1 tablespoon flour
juice of 1 Seville orange
2 Seville oranges

A good recipe to try when Seville oranges come into the shops after
Christmas. The bitter-sweet flavour goes well with wild rabbit.
If the rabbit is on the mature side, it's prudent to lard it. Turn the
joints in seasoned flour and brown lightly in the butter or lard. Put into a
casserole (Hannah Glasse advises an earthenware Pipkin'), and add the wine
and enough stock just to cover the meat. Season with pepper and salt. Put in
the bouquet garni. Cover and simmer until the rabbit is cooked. Meanwhile
mash the flour into the butter, and divide it into a number of small knobs.
Strain off the sauce into a small pan, reduce it by boiling to a good
flavour, then keep it under boiling point and whisk in the knobs of flour
and butter. This makes the sauce thick and slightly shiny. Cook for about
five minutes, flavouring the sauce to taste with orange juice.
Cut the two oranges into thin slices, and notch the peel all round, cutting
out tiny triangles which should be carefully kept. Put the rabbit pieces on
a warm serving dish, pour over the sauce and scatter the little bits of peel
on top. The slices of orange should go round the edge of the dish.

Contributor: Good Things - Jane Grigson

Sweet-Sour Rabbit (Or Hare) Italian Style, With Chocolate

1 rabbit, jointed (or 1 young hare)
seasoned flour

Marinade:
3/4 pint red wine
2 heaped tablespoons each finely chopped onion and finely chopped carrot
1 tablespoon each parsley and thyme
1 bay leaf
3 cloves
plenty of black pepper
half teaspoon salt

Sauce:
2 oz. lard
2 oz. fat bacon, diced
3 oz. chopped onion
beef stock
heaped tablespoon sugar
3 oz. wine vinegar
2 oz. sultanas
2 oz. pine kernels
2 oz. candied peel, cut in strips
7 oz. grated bitter chocolate salt, pepper, lemon juice

It may need an act of faith to include the chocolate, but please don't leave
it out. And make sure it's the bitter kind. Pine kernels can be bought at
delicatessen or health food shops.

Soak the rabbit or hare in the marinade ingredients for at least 4 hours.
Drain and dry the meat, roll in seasoned flour and brown in the lard,
together with bacon and onion. Put into a casserole. Strain the marinade
liquid over the rabbit and add enough beef stock to cover it. Season well
and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is cooked. Melt sugar in a
thick saucepan until it turns pale brown, add vinegar, stirring vigorously -
the mixture will become a brown syrup. Pour into the casserole, and add the
sultanas, pine kernels, candied peel and half the chocolate. Simmer 5
minutes. Correct the seasoning with salt, pepper, lemon juice and remaining
chocolate to taste. No accompanying vegetables are needed.

Contributor: Good Things - Jane Grigson

Hare With Cream In The German Style

saddle of hare, larded
1/2 pint double cream
1/4 pint sour cream
2 oz. chopped mild onion
2 oz. chopped carrot
2 teaspoons wine vinegar
red currant jelly
1-2 glasses red wine or port

Only the saddle is needed for this recipe; the rest can be used up in a
civet. Be careful to remove the pearly skin. The saddle should be larded to
keep it moist during the cooking. This is not at all difficult to do - buy a
fat end of bacon, or a piece of hard back pork fat, and chill it well. Cut
into strips about 2 inches long and 1-inch wide. Thread the first strip into
the open end of a larding needle, and take a stitch into the meat, parallel
to the backbone, as if you were sewing. The ends of fat will protrude. With
a little practice, one can do this quite elegantly so that the slices of
meat are neatly patterned with the bits of fat. This excellent and
decorative way of making dry meats such as pigeon, fillet steak, venison and
hare more succulent certainly justifies the 15p spent on a larding needle.

Choose an ovenproof cooking pot that just accommodates the bare. First put
in the vegetables, then lay the saddle on top. Pour over cream and vinegar,
which should ideally come well up the saddle of hare. Roast in a moderate
oven, Mark 4, 350 F, for about 3/4 hour or until the hare is cooked. Baste
frequently with the juice. Remove hare to serving dish and keep warm. Strain
cooking liquid into a heavy pan. Boil gently, adding jelly and wine to
taste. This dish is often served with chestnut puree, but I prefer whole
boiled chestnuts mixed with Brussels sprouts.

Contributor: Good Things - Jane Grigson

Jugged Hare (Or Rabbit) With Forcemeat Balls

1 hare, jointed
seasoned flour
hare's blood, brain, liver (optional)
1/2 pound .streaky bacon, cubed
1/2 pound chopped, or pickling onions
3 ounces lard
1/2 tablespoon thyme
1 heaped tablespoon chopped parsley
bay leaf
beef stock
glass of port
redcurrant jelly

We've been eating stewed hare for hundreds of years, but we've only been
calling it 'jugged' hare (which sounds so traditional) for a couple of
centuries. 'Jugged' means, precisely, cooked in a jug. You could use one of
the brown stoneware 4 pint milk jugs, sold by Elizabeth David and other good
cookery equipment shops, but an ordinary casserole does perfectly well.

Brown hare, which should first be rolled in seasoned flour, bacon and onion
in lard. Pour off surplus fat, add herbs, cover with stock and bring to
boil. Transfer to a jug, cover with foil, and stand in a large saucepan of
hot water. Put into a slow oven, Mark 2, 3000F, until the meat parts easily
from the bone. Mash brain and liver, pour on some of the hot liquid and cook
in a little pan for five minutes, stirring. Add blood, off the heat, and
stir the whole thing into the jug of hare. Keep it just under boiling point
for five minutes. Stir in port and redcurrant jelly to taste. Serve with
forcemeat balls:

4 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
2 ounces chopped suet or melted butter
about 1 tablespoon thyme
about 1 tablespoon parsley
grated rind half a lemon
1 beaten egg

Mix together, form into balls and fry in lard until golden brown.

Contributor: Good Things - Jane Grigson

Rabbit With Mustard

1 1/2 pounds pork belly
3 medium carrots, chopped
1/2 - 3/4 pound chopped onions
1 tablespoon thyme, or wild thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1/4 pint dry white wine (or chicken stock plus dessertspoon wine vinegar)
2 liqueur glasses brandy
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons double cream
Extra parsley to garnish, salt, black pepper

This is one of the best meat dishes I know for piquant contrast of flavours.
For four people, you need the saddle cut in two, and the hindquarters. The
forequarters and head can be used for soup.

Skin, bone and slice pork. Mix carrot, onion, garlic and herbs. Lay half the
pork in a casserole, then half the vegetable mixture. Season well. Add the
rabbit, then the rest of the vegetables, then the rest of the pork. Season.
Lay the pork skin on top. Pour over wine and brandy, cover tightly and cook
in a slow oven, Mark 2. 300 F, for 2 1/2-3 hours, until the rabbit is
tender. Arrange meat and vegetables, well drained, on a serving dish, and
keep them warm. Skim fat off the cooking juices. Beat yolk and cream
together, add the skimmed juices and cook gently. Stir this sauce well, but
don't let it boil. When it's thick, add the mustard. Pour over the rabbit,
etc., sprinkle with parsley, and serve with some plainly boiled potatoes.

Contributor: Good Things - Jane Grigson

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.