Subject: Rabbit Au Vin
From: [email-masked] (Beth Wettergreen
Date: 20 Mar 1996 15:55:29 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

ABOUT RABBIT

We have commercially prepared rabbit available in my town, but it is very
expensive.  Those who raise rabbits for their own consumption need to
remember two things: 1) the meat is generally drier (less fatty) than
chicken so needs a moist braising cooking method, (2) Musk glands under the
front and back legs should be removed so as not to spoil the taste of the
dish.  These are small, pea sized marble-shaped scent glands located on the
underside of the front and back legs.  

Rabbit is skinned, cleaned, gutted, and cut into serving size pieces much
like a chicken. 

This is a wonderful recipe for rabbit. You need a covered Dutch oven or
other large covered baking dish.

**RABBIT AU VIN**

INGREDIENTS

1 3-lb. rabbit, cleaned and cut into serving-sized pieces
3 T light oil (corn, canola)
1/4 lb. (about 5-6 slices) bacon or 1/4 lb. diced salt pork
1 large yellow onion, chopped
30 (approx.) medium fresh mushrooms
2 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 " thick
1/2 tsp. garlic powder or one minced garlic clove
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. (or LESS) nutmeg (don't overdo!)
1  10-oz. can prepared stewed tomatoes, "Cajun Style' if you can obtain
1 cup dry white wine

------
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown rice (or wild rice mix)

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1.  Rinse and pat dry the rabbit pieces and saute over high heat in the oil
until evenly browned. Pour 2 T of the drippings into bottom of Dutch oven. 

2.  Open canned tomatoes and layer 1/2 of them in the Dutch oven.  Put
rabbit pieces on top of tomatoes.  Cut bacon slices in half and lay on top
of rabbit pieces, OR  sprinkle on minced salt pork.  Scatter chopped onion,
mushrooms, carrots around the pieces of rabbit.  Combine garlic, marjoram
and nutmeg in a small bowl; then sprinkle spices very evenly over the
rabbit.  Pour over the other half of the tomatoes and the wine.

3.  Cover the Dutch oven and roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes (depending
on  the size and tenderness of the rabbit). Remove from oven and quickly
stir in rice and water.  Return to oven and bake for another 35 or more
minutes or until rice is tender and rabbit is very well done.

To Serve; Arrange on a platter like chicken and surround with the cooked
vegetables and rice. Drain and reserve the cooking sauce and pass
separately. This dish is excellent accompanied by crusty French rolls (to
dip in the sauce), steamed small red parslied potatoes and sliced fresh
fruit such as pears and/or apples.

**Wild Rabbit: I have cleaned and  cooked wild rabbits but in these cases
you must check closely when you are cleaning the rabbit for any worms or
parasites.  They are usually found right under the skin.  If you see a
worm, just chuck the rabbit and wait until your "hunter" brings home a
clean one. 

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.