Subject: Potatoes Nana
From: [email-masked] (Paul Kindelberger)
Date: 20 Nov 1996 05:18:03 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Ingredients :

2 lbs. white boiling potatoes, peeled, very thinly sliced
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, very thinly sliced
1 lb. red-skinned potatoes (unpeeled),very thinly sliced
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme

Instructions :

To clarify butter, melt in small saucepan. Remove from heat; let stand 5
minutes. Using spoon, skim froth and solids from surface. Carefully pour
clear melted butter into glass measuring cup, discarding any milky sediment
in the saucepan.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Drizzle 2 tbsp. clarified butter into bottom of
10-inch diameter oven-proof skillet or flat casserole dish (or quiche pan)
with 2-inch high sides. Swirl pan to coat bottom. Placing all potatoes
between layers of paper or kitchen towels, dry potatoes well. Arrange half
of white potatoes in overlapping circular pattern in prepared pan. Season
with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tbsp. clarified butter. Arrange half of
sweet potatoes in same fashion over white potatoes. Season with salt and
pepper. Drizzle 2 tbsp. clarified butter over this layer. Arrange half of
red-skinned potatoes, season, drizzle with butter as before. Repeat layering
with remaining potatoes, seasoning and drizzling butter between each layer.
Press on potatoes to compact. Cover with foil.

Cover and bake potatoes 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender
and top is golden, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Run sharp knife around edge of
pan to loosen potatoes. Turn out potato cake onto platter. Sprinkle with
herbs and cut into wedges.

Comments :

A variation on the French classic, pommes Anna, you could also top with
shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese after turning out onto plate,
before adding herbs. Place back in oven under broiler to melt and put a golden
crust on cheese. (Watch very closely to prevent cheese from burning.) Remove
from oven, sprinkle with herbs, cut and serve.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.