Subject: Red Potato Salad
From: Mimi Hiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 14:56:32 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

"Miss Daisy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

 >My three teenage sons have suddenly decided that they like potato salad and
 >have suggested that I experiment with recipes other than "Granny's tried
 >and trusted".  Please e-mail and post your personal favourite.  Many thanks

I found this on http://www.ichef.com/ichef-recipes/Vegetables/50326.html

I see no reason why you couldn't boil the beets and potatoes together, as 
long as you know how long to cook each (you don't want to overcook one or 
undercook the other). or cook the beets first, then boil the potatoes in 
the same (red) water.

Rosy Beet And Potato Salad With Garlic Dressing

  Categories: Vegetables, Salads, Side dish
       Yield: 6 servings

       4 md Beets with greens
       2 lg Potatoes
       4    Garlic cloves
       3 tb Oil
       1    Lemon; juiced
            Salt and pepper; to taste

   Remove greens from beets.  Cut greens into 1-inch-thick slices and
   boil until wilted and tender.  Drain thoroughly and set aside.
   Boil beets until completely tender. Drain, then cover in cold water to
   cool.  When cooled, slip off roots and skins.
   Meanwhile, boil potatoes in their skins until tender.  Drain, cool
   thoroughly, then remove skins.
   Cut peeled beets and potatoes into bite sized chunks and place in
   mixing bowl with cooled greens.
   Mince or press garlic, then combine with oil and lemon juice.  Season
   dressing with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, then toss
   with beets and potatoes.  Serve chilled with crusty bread.

   Copyright 1994 Karen Mintzias
   May be freely copied and distributed without changes.

-- Mimi

Mimi's Cyber Kitchen, http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/, the WWW's first food 
portal,  is easier to use, packed with new features and expanded categories 
in a brand-new format. 1000's of recipes and links, hints, recipe board, 
holidays, greeting cards, cookbook reviews.  
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.

Path: swen.emba.uvm.edu!news.cc.utah.edu!xmission!newsfeed.berkeley.edu!feeder.nmix.net!198.59.136.4.MISMATCH!feeder.swcp.com!sloth.swcp.com!not-for-mail
From: Mimi Hiller <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Red Potato Salad
Followup-To: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 14:54:16 -0800
Organization: Cyberkitchen
Lines: 45
Approved: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Mimi Hiller <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: inago.swcp.com
Originator: [email-masked] (Patricia Hill)
Xref: swen.emba.uvm.edu rec.food.recipes:38831

"Miss Daisy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

 >My three teenage sons have suddenly decided that they like potato salad and
 >have suggested that I experiment with recipes other than "Granny's tried
 >and trusted".  Please e-mail and post your personal favourite.  Many thanks

Here is one that I created last year. it was outstanding!

Red Potato Salad

~1 lb. red potatoes (I used the tiny creamers)
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp balsamic vinegar (I used the really good stuff. nothing but the 
best. right?)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon-flavored oil
1 tsp granulated garlic
dash of cayenne
8 drops of hot sauce
dash of crushed red pepper
3/4 tsp dried tarragon

Steam the potatoes until cooked through.  Remove the potatoes to a bowl of 
ice water and let cool sufficiently.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the 
potatoes and whisk till smooth.  Dice the cooled potatoes and stir gently 
into the dressing and serve.

-- Mimi

Mimi's Cyber Kitchen, http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/, the WWW's first food 
portal,  is easier to use, packed with new features and expanded categories 
in a brand-new format. 1000's of recipes and links, hints, recipe board, 
holidays, greeting cards, cookbook reviews.  

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.