Subject: Potato Herbes de Provence Soup with Buttered Leeks
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Feb 1997 08:30:39 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]

Potato Herbes de Provence Soup with Buttered Leeks

1/4 cup butter
6 medium leeks (about 2 lbs.), washed carefully, trimmed, and thinly sliced
(white part only)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbs herbs de Provence
4 lbs. potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
5 cups whole milk
2 scallions, thinly sliced

In a large soup pot, heat the butter over high heat until it foams.  Turn
heat on low, add the leeks, and saute for 10 minutes, or until golden.  Add
the salt, sugar, and herbs and saute 5 minutes longer.  Add the potatoes and
broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes,
stirring often, until the potatoes are tender.  Puree the soup and return to
the pot.

Add the milk and bring to a gentle boil.  Simmer 10 minutes and serve,
garnished with sliced scallions.

Serves 8.

>From The Herb Companion Cooks

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.