Subject: Portuguese Vegetable Stew
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Oct 1997 20:38:57 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]

PORTUGUESE VEGETABLE STEW

source: Jump Up and Kiss me Spicy Vegetarian Cooking by Jennifer Trainer
Thompson (1996)

*This thick stew can folded into omelets for breakfast or spooned into
pita pockets for lunch or served over Couscous or polenta or enjoyed by
itself. 

1 1/2 Lb.  butternut squash, peeled,seeded, and cut into 3/4 inch dice (3 cups)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice (3 cups)
4 carrots, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch thick rounds (2 cups)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1" inch long slices
3 Jalapeno peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 in dice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons marjoram
2"piece of stick cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon hot paprika
3 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes, or 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with
juice
1/4 pound cabbage, cut into 1 inch strips (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups cooked kidney or cannellini beans
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 400F(200C/gas 6) Lightly oil a heavy 12 x 18 inch shallow
baking pan. Toss the squash sweet potatoes and carrots in 2 tablespoons of
the vegetable oil and spread in a layer on the baking pan. Roast for 20
minutes, until barely tender. Set aside. Meanwhile, cook the onions in the
remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat
until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapenos and
cook, stirring for another 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic,
marjoram and spices and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the
tomatoes and their juice and simmer 20 minutes, until slightly reduced.
Add the cabbage and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the roasted
vegetables and beans. Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables
are tender. Remove the cinnamon stick and serve. 

Lei Gui
Bronx,NY

Note: When doing roasted vegetables like this, I like to put them under the
broiler for
a couple of minutes until they get slightly charred.
For information on International Recipes OnLine, send an e-mail
message to [email-masked] with the following material in the
body:    info international_recipes

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.