Subject: Popeye's Red Beans and Rice
From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Dec 1999 06:07:57 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Popeye's Red Beans and Rice

This came in direct response, to many people's requests. Please use a good 
quality rice with this. We did not like the results with Minute Rice, but 
Success Rice boil in the bag, did come out well. You will need to follow the 
directions for your specific rice.

3 Cans Red Beans 15.5-16 0Z ( 2 cans with liquid 1 can drained )
1/2 LB -3/4 lb Smoked Ham Hock
1 1/4 cup Water
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1/4 tsp Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt or To Taste
1/4 cup Lard + 1 Tbsp.
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
4 - 5 cup Premium Long Grain Rice Cooked and Drained

Pour 2 cans of beans in a 2 quart pan add smoked ham hock and water. Simmer 
on medium heat for an hour until the meat starts to loosen from the bone. 
Remove from heat and cool until the hock is cool enough so the meat may be 
removed from the bone. Place the meat, beans and liquid in a food processor. 
To the mixture add onion powder, garlic salt, red pepper, salt, and lard. 
Process for only 4 seconds. beans should be chopped and liquid thick. Now add 
the 3rd can of beans that have been drained of their liquid. Process just for 
a second or two you want these beans to remain almost whole. 
Pour bean mixture back into to pan and cook slowly on low heat stirring often 
until ready to serve.
Serve over a premium cooked and drained long grain rice .

www.copykat.com/

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.