Subject: Piri Piri Sauce
From: [email-masked] (Jim Weller)
Date: 18 Apr 2000 13:26:05 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Piri Piri Chilies
Hot-Pepper Oil Sauce - {Piri Piri}

 BEK> From: "peter" <[email-masked]>
 BEK> I am looking for the recipe to make an original Piri Piri or Peri Peri
 BEK> sauce. Can anyone help me.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
 
      Title: Piri Piri Chilies
 Categories: Info, Spice, Chilies, Portuguese, African
      Yield: 1 info file

           Piri Piri Chile
 
  Piri means chile in Swahili so a translation of piri piri chile is
  chile chile chile ;-)  Which is the next point.  In general in Africa
  when a word is repeated it is a form of emphasis.  We see piri piri,
  pila pila, berebere and for the soccer fans Bafana Bafana and so on.
  I guess the repeated word means that it is thought to be exceptional
  in some way.
  
  Throughout Africa a small C. frutescens grows.  It is spread both by
  humans and birds and can be found growing "wild". There has been a
  proposal to declare it a weed in South Africa. There may be regional
  differences in physical characteristics and there are regional
  differences in names. I have seen small samples of those from Malawi
  (larger), Mozambique (smaller) and South Africa.  I have read the
  description on Zimbabwe Bird and some other countries I have
  forgotten. Other than minor differences in size, heat and taste
  probably due to regional developments, they are all the same.  And
  yes, I do realize I am saying all Cabernet Sauvignon is the same ;-)
  
  In this neck of the woods they are called Devil Chiles, further north
  others call them Zimbabwe Birds Eye and in Mozambique locals call
  them piri piri or peri peri.  Probably every town and village in
  Africa has a different name for them.
  
  You can ponder why a Swahili word is used by the Portuguese, who
  introduced this chile to Africa (West) in the first place.
  
  The plant is hardy and will take cold quite well. Grows about 4 feet
  high.  Fruit all year but far less in winter (in Africa) YMMV.
  
  From: Peter Moss in Zaire <[email-masked]>
  Chile Heads Mailing List

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
 
      Title: Hot-Pepper Oil Sauce - {Piri Piri}
 Categories: African, Portuguese, Chilies, Oils, Condiments
      Yield: 1 quart
 
    1/2 lb Small dried hot red peppers
    1/2 cup  Whiskey
      1 cup  Vegetable oil
      1 cup  Olive oil

  Fill a 1-quart glass canning jar one-third full of tiny hot dried red
  peppers. Add the whiskey then fill the jar with a mixture of one-half
  olive oil and one-half vegetable oil. Cap the jar and let sit 1 month.
  Shake now and then during the curing process. You can add more oil as
  you use up the sauce. Store, covered, at room temperature.
  
  Comments: We must begin our Portuguese cooking with this hot, oil
  sauce. I have made this sauce with several other different kinds of
  peppers and the strength varies. This sauce is worth the pepper hunt.
  
  Recipe Source: THE FRUGAL GOURMET by Jeff Smith
  
MMMMM

                                                Jim in Yellowknife
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.