Subject: Collection (2) Pigeon
From: "Amanda" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Nov 1999 05:10:47 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

SQUAB PIE

Breasts of 3 young pigeons,
1 lb apples,
8 oz chopped onions,
8 oz shortcrust pastry,
1/2 teaspoonful of sugar,
seasoning.

Grease a pie dish, place the onions in it and sprinkle the sugar on top.
Place in the pigeon breasts and cover with the slice apples. Season. Make
a pastry lid and cook in a hot oven until the pastry is set and then lower
the heat and cook for an hour. To prevent the pastry from burning cover it
with a piece of greased paper.

Kentish Pigeons in a Pot with Plums
main dishes, British, plums, game

25  g   butter
1   tablespoon   vegetable oil
4   young pigeons; prepared
2   teaspoons    plain flour
1   medium   onion; chopped
2   cloves
1   tablespoon    fresh mixed herbs *; chopped
100 ml  port
450 g   purple plums; halved and stoned
pinch   freshly grated nutmeg

* such as rosemary, sage, thyme.

Preheat oven to 170 C / 325 F / Gas 3.

Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan.  Coat the pigeons lightly
in the flour, shaking off any excess, then add to the pan and fry, turning
occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides.  Transfer to an
ovenproof casserole.  Stir the onion into the frying pan and fry gently
until beginning to soften.  Spoon over the pigeons, then sprinkle the
cloves and herbs over the top.  Stir the port into the frying pan, bring
to the boil, then pour over the pigeons.  Arrange the plums over the top.
Cover tightly and bake for 1 1/2 hours until the pigeons are tender.
Transfer the pigeons and plums to a warmed serving platter.  Boil the
juices for 2-3 minutes to thicken them and concentrate the flavour.  Add
the nutmeg, then pour over the pigeons.  Serve at once.
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.