Subject: Pico de Gallo
From: Cindy Wambeam <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 1999 07:10:24 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>From: "Cheryl Reynolds" <[email-masked]>
>I am looking for a recipe for Pico de Gallo.  I think that is what is
>called.  It is a type of salsa with tomatoes, onions and peppers.

Hi Cheryl -- this is the type of Pico de Gallo that we find down here in
southern New Mexico.  Measurements are approximate, since different
tomatoes are juicier and the jalapenos are hotter/milder.   Adjust this to
your own taste -- you may like it with more tomatoes or onions, for
instance.  

PICO DE GALLO

2 large tomatoes, chopped
2-4 jalapenos (depending upon the amount of heat you want) -- deveined and 
        deseeded*, chopped 
1 small onion, chopped (or 5 or 6 green onions, chopped)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
[optional]1 clove garlic, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime or lemon (or a splash of vinegar)
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
salt (or garlic salt) to taste
pinch of sugar**

*deveining & deseeding get rid of most of the intense heat of the
jalapenos, so if you want it really hot leave them.  Also, use gloves to
do this, and/or wash your hands in lemon juice afterward.

**sugar may seem weird, but most salsas use it -- I believe it's to
enhance the tomato flavor.  I can tell the difference when it's left out,
but if you don't want the sugar don't use it.

Toss the fresh ingredients together.  Drizzle with olive oil and lime
juice; add sugar, then sprinkle with salt or garlic salt.  Toss again.
Let it stand for about 20 minutes to let the juices mingle.  It will last
for about 24 hours (after that, it loses its fresh flavor).

That's it!  Enjoy,
cindy

Cindy Wambeam                                   [email-masked]
English Department                  http://scf.nmsu.edu/~cwambeam
New Mexico State University  Las Cruces

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.

Path: swen.emba.uvm.edu!attmt1!attmtf!ip.att.net!remarQ-easT!supernews.com!remarQ.com!europa.clark.net!europa.netcrusader.net!128.158.254.10!news.msfc.nasa.gov!nntp.mainstreet.net!news.mainstreet.net!feeder.swcp.com!sloth.swcp.com!llama.swcp.com!not-for-mail
From: Andrea Hicks <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Pico de Gallo
Followup-To: rec.food.cooking
Date: 20 Apr 1999 11:10:17 -0600
Organization: worldnet.att.net
Lines: 30
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
NNTP-Posting-Host: llama.swcp.com
Xref: swen.emba.uvm.edu rec.food.recipes:32364

> Requests 
> Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo

Yield 2 cups

8 long green chiles, roasted, peeled, deveined and chopped
2 small yellow chiles, roasted, peeled and chopped; or 2 jalapeno chiles
5 green onions, chopped (including tops)
5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp.  vegetable oil
1 tsp. vinegar
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients; chill. Will keep at least two weeks in the
refrigerator. Serve with meats, chicken, hamburgers, etc.

>From _Seasoned With Sun, Recipes from the corner of Texas and Old Mexico_, a
cookbook by the Junior League of El Paso, Inc.

Andrea Hicks

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.