Subject: Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
From: [email-masked] (We2Miles)
Date: 28 Apr 1997 06:36:56 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Regarding request for Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

I've become such a Pho fan ('scuse the alliteration) that I've learned to
make a rip-off version at home with my favorite components.  I prefer beef
over chicken, but you could probably just make the appropriate
substitutions to arrive at something you like...

Soup Base
2 cans beef stock, more desirable - equivalent homemade stock
small cut of ribeye steak, sliced thinly
1 package rice noodles (I usually use less than one package because I
prefer veggies over noodles)

Condiments
green onions, julienne style
bean sprouts
lime wedges
chopped cilantro
Chinese Chili Paste or equally insane heat ingredient
Anaheim chili, sliced thinly

Method
Heat the stock to boiling, add the meat and boil until meat is cooked
through.  Add rice noodles and cook for a few more minutes.  Serve in a
huge bowl with condiments on a separate plate.  Add the amount and type of
condiments that you prefer and enjoy!

NOTE:  have tissues handy - this will ream your sinuses out!  Very healthy
for people with allergies and/or upper respiratory problems.

NOTE2:  when slicing Anaheim chili (as with all fresh chilis), wear
protective gloves and be careful not to touch unprotected skin with your
gloved.  The oils present in fresh chilis can burn and irritate your skin,
particularly mucous membranes in the nose and/or eyes.

NOTE3:  this make a fabulous meal when paired with salad rolls.  A recipe
follows:

Vietnamese Salad Rolls

Salad Roll Wrappers (must be purchased in Asian markets or specialty
stores.  They are packaged about 100 to the package, but don't worry -
they last forever if protected from moisture.)

Rice Noodles
Bean Sprouts
fresh Cilantro and/or mint (an ageless controversy -which is best?  you
decide)
green onions, julienned
carrots, julienned
celery, julienned
*red pepper, julienned (optional)
*Anaheim chili, julienned (optional)
cooked meat, julienned (can include Chinese style roast pork, leftover
cooked chicken, bay shrimp, cooked pork loin, or any combination thereof)

Purchased Peanut Sauce (Taste of Thai makes a good one, but it has to be
mixed with Coconut Milk, which drives up the calories.  Look for a mix
that can be mixed with water, add a little chili paste or "Dave's Insane
Sauce" for piquancy, and use for a dipping sauce for the Salad Rolls

Take a dinner plant and put hot tap water on it.  Take a Wrapper and wet
it, making sure that every part gets wet.  Transfer to another clean plate
and place filling items on top.  Wrap it like a burrito, closed at both
ends:  flip one end over the filling.  Fold in the perpendicular ends to
close in the filling.  Roll in direction of first fold until you reach the
end of the wrapper.  The gluten in the wrapper will self-seal it.  Set
aside and repeat until your filling ingredients are gone, or you've
reached the limit of what can be eaten at that meal.  These do not keep
well - don't try to refrigerate or freeze them - it's a disaster.  

Salad Rolls make a great meal with a pot of Hot and Sour soup as an
accompaniment, or a big bowl of Pho (Noodle Soup) and some peanut sauce.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.