Subject: Pheasant (2) Collection
From: Ian and Carol Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:42:37 +0000
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Pheasant Breasts with Madeira and Wild Mushroom Sauce
Pheasant With Chestnuts

Pheasant Breasts with Madeira and Wild Mushroom Sauce

4 Pheasant breasts, boned
150ml (5 fl.oz.) Madeira
250ml (9 fl.oz.) Creme fraiche
250g (9 oz) Mixed wild mushrooms
Seasoning

Place the mushrooms in a large dish and bake at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 10 minutes. 
Place the mushrooms to one side and pan fry the pheasant breasts in the same pan
for 5 minutes.  When cooked, cover and keep warm. In the same pan add the 
Madeira and reduce by half.  Stir in the creme fraiche, mushrooms and seasoning.
Serve the pheasant with the sauce and oven roasted asparagus.

Servings: 4

Pheasant With Chestnuts

25g butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 oven ready pheasants; jointed
2 medium onions; sliced
225g peeled chestnuts
3 tablespoons plain flour
450ml chicken stock
150ml dry red wine
= orange; zest and juice
2 teaspoons redcurrant jelly
1 bouquet garni
fresh parsley; chopped for garnish

Preheat oven to 180 C/3 50 F/Gas 4. Heat the butter and oil in a large frying 
pan and fry the pheasant joints for about 5 minutes, until browned. Remove from 
the pan and place in an ovenproof casserole. Fry the onions and chestnuts in the
remaining oil and butter for a few minutes until brown, then add to the 
pheasant. Stir the  flour into the fat in the pan and cook, stirring for 2-3 
minutes. Remove  from the heat and gradually stir in the stock and wine. Bring 
to the boil, stirring continuously, until thickened and smooth. Pour over the 
pheasant in the casserole. Add the orange zest and juice, redcurrant jelly and 
bouquet garni. Cover the casserole and bake for about 1 hour or until the 
pheasant is tender. Remove the bouquet garni before serving, garnished with 
parsley. 
Source: Dairy Book of British Food

Servings: 4

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.