Subject: "Perky" Pot Roast
From: "Kathleen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Feb 1999 20:38:37 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This recipe comes from Marcia Adams' Cooking From Quilt Country.  It's a bit
different...it uses leftover coffee. I think it's best served on fresh
hardrolls with a lot of pan drippings.  It's the only pot roast my husband
will eat!  I'm giving the recipe pretty much as it appears in the book,
although I always double all ingredients.

3 lbs Swiss steak, trimmed of fat (I use a 3-5 lb bottom or rump roast)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup coffee
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 large onions,sliced
    Additional coffee and soy sauce, as needed.

Preheat oven to 3000F.  Do not pound or flour the meat.  Heat oil in a heavy
skillet over high heat, then sear meat on both sides.

Meanwhile, in  large roasting pan, combine the soy sauce, ocffee, bay
leaves, garlic, oregano, and one of hte sliced onions.  Transfer the browned
meat to the roasting pan.  Top with the second sliced onion.  Cover and bake
fro 3 1/2 to 4 hours, basting every hour with the pan juices.  If the liquid
begins to boil away (this depends on the heaviness of your pan), add another
cup of coffee* and a liberal splash of soy sauce.  You may have to repeat
this procedure; there should be quite a bit of liquid.

*You may want to use 1 cup of  plain water or broth for every cup of coffee.
It won't be as strong, though.
Serves 6-8

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.