Subject: Patridge with Cabbage
From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Mar 1997 23:08:53 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Betty Kohler) writes:

>From: Marianne Becktel <[email-masked]>
>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:33:58 -0600
>Subject: Preparing Game Birds

PARTRIDGE WITH CABBAGE( Perdrix aux choux)
source: French cooking for everyone

2 plump partridges
2 lbs green cabbage
1/2 pound breast of pork
1/2 pound raw garlic sausage
1/4 pound chipolata sausages
1 medium sized carrot
salt
pepper
1 onion stuffed with a clove
bouquet garni
4 cups stock
3 tablespoons lard

Remove outside leaves of cabbage, plunge into boiling water, boil for 5
minutes and remove cabbage. Put breast of pork into the same water, bring
to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes and drain. Spread the cabbage leaves on a
big dish and season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. Brown the
partridges quickly in a little lard. Line a large casserole with bacon and
a third of the cabbage leaves. Lay the partridges, carrot, onion and
bouquet garni on top. Cover with half of the the remaining cabbage, follow
with a layer of sliced pork, chipolatas and garlic sausage. Cover with the
rest of the cabbage, add stock to cover sausage and bring to a boil. Add 3
tablespoons of stock to the roasting pan juice and pour over the cabbage.
Cover with a piece of buttered paper cut to the same size as the
casserole, then with a lid, and braise for another 15 minutes, then remove
pork. Continue to braise for 1 5 more minutes or until partridges are
tender. Drain the cabbage thoroughly and place in the middle of a serving
dish. Put the partridges on top, surround with chipolatas, sliced sausage,
pork and vegetables. Serve a little of the cooking liquid as a sauce. 

Serves 4

Lei Gui
Bronx,NY
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.