Subject: Paprika Gravy
From: "Charlotte S. Lammers" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jul 1997 06:02:38 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

> From: "Carol J. Phillips" <[email-masked]>
> I am looking for a Hungarian Paprika Gravy that was demonstrated on the
> Frugel Gourmet show aired on 6/28/97.  I have searched my numerous
> cookbooks and was unable to find anything similar. Thanks

From The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors:

Paprika Gravy

Makes about 7 cups.

1 Tbsp freshly rendered lard or oil
1 1/2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 cup seeded/chopped Anaheim peppers or chopped/unseeded Cubanelle pepper
1 cup yellow onion, peeled/chopped
1/2 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
1 tsp. chicken base
6 cup beef stock (canned okay)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup flour

Heat a 5 qt. heavy stove-top casserole and add the lard and paprika. Cook
over medium heat for a moment and then add garlic, pepper, onion and
tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes until all is tender. Add the chicken
base and beef stock, along with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer
for 30 minutes. In a metal bowl, mix the sour cream and flour together.
Mix it well with a wire whip as you do not want lumps. Add a cup of the
gravy from the pot and quickly stir it into the cream mixture with a
whisk. Remove gravy from heat and stir in the cream mixture, whipping
well. Return to heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes. Strain
the gravy and discard the solids or lumps, if you have any. 

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.