Subject: Ossobuco
From: "R. Burke and D. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Sep 1996 09:36:40 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This recipe is adapted from _The New Romagnolis' Table_ by Margaret and G.Franco
Romagnoli:

Ossobuco

For the Battuto:                                                  
6-8 pieces veal shinbone
1 tsp. rosemary                                                 
flour
3-4 fresh sage leaves                                    
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter                                   
1 small clove garlic                                         
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley              
1 cup dry white wine
4 slices lemon zest                                          
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth          

Have the veal shank sawed into pieces 11/2-2 inches long.  These pieces
vary in width, so 2 small ones or 1 large makes a portion.  If the skin
around the meat of the bone is broken, tie butcher's string around the slice
before flouring and browning in order to hold the meat snugly in place.

Flour the pieces thoroughly and brown them well in butter and oil over
medium heat.  Use a frying pan that will accommodate the ossobuchi snugly
without crowding.  If the pan is too big, the sauce will be too spread out
and shallow to cook the veal properly.

Add the battuto (rosemary, sage, garlic, parsley, and zest) to browned
veal bones.  Spread the herbs around and cook for a moment or two.  Add the
wine and stir.  Add the salt and some pepper.

When the wine has partially evaporated, add enough broth to bring the
sauce to the top of the veal slices without covering them.  Lower the heat
and simmer about 40 minutes, or until really tender.  Serve hot with the
sauce.  Serves 6.  Pair with a good risotto.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.