Subject: Orange-Yogurt Muffins
From: Janie McKinney <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 1997 20:01:47 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

ORANGE-YOGURT MUFFINS
from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library: Muffins & Quick Breads

A generous measure of grated orange zest gives these muffins an
extraordinary taste, and cooking the zest briefly with a small
amount of sugar is one of the best ways to extract its flavor.  
While the muffins are baking, squeeze the juice from one of the 
oranges to make the orange glaze.

3 large oranges
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Butter standard muffin tins.
Finely grate the zest from the oranges, removing only the bright
orange portion of the peel.  You should have about 1/4 cup of zest.
Combine the zest, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the water in a small
saucepan.  Stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes, until the
sugar dissolves.  Add the butter and stir until melted, about 1 minute
more.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl stir and toss together the flour, baking powder,
baking soda, salt, and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.  Set aside.  In
a larger bowl whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk, and reserved
orange mixture until smooth.  Add the combined dry ingredients and 
stir just until blended.

Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out
clean, 15-20 minutes.  Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.

Makes about 18 standard muffins.

ORANGE GLAZE

1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice (more if needed)
3 teaspoons orange zest
pinch of salt

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk briskly 
until smooth and well-blended.  If the glaze is too stiff, beat
in a few drops more juice.  Brush or spoon over muffins while 
they are still warm.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.