Subject: Collection (4) Recipes with Olives
From: "Fred Towner" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Feb 1999 07:36:35 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Makaronia
New Year's Paella
Mushroom Stew
Alejandro Rey's Empanada

>From: [email-masked]
>I love olives -- black, green, Greek, cracked, all of them!  Looking for
>main-dish meals using lots and lots of olives!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Makaronia
Categories: Greek, Pasta, California
      Yield: 4 servings

    1/2 lb Sweet butter
    1/4 lb Mizithra (or Feta); grated
  1 1/2 lb Spaghetti; cooked al dente
     16    Jumbo Calamata olives *
           - olive meat shaved
           -  from pits

In a large saucepan place the butter and heat it on medium until it
has melted.  Add the cheese and stir it in.

Add the pasta and toss it in so that it is well coated with the
butter and cheese.  Add the shaved olives and toss them in well.

Source: Papadakis Taverna - San Pedro, California,  California Beach
Recipe - by Joan & Carl Stromquist - ISBN: 0-9622807-3-9

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: New Year's Paella
Categories: Main dish
      Yield: 8 servings

      8 cups  Fish or Chicken Stock
      1 Tbsp saffron Threads
      3 Tbsp Olive Oil
      6 ea Garlic Cloves, chopped
      2 ea Onions, medium, chopped
      1 ea Red Bell Pepper, chopped
      1 ea Green Bell Pepper, chopped
      8 ea Chicken Pieces, boned
      8 ea Chorizo Sausages in chunks
      8 oz Squid, cut into rings
      4 cup  Rice
      4 ea Tomatoes, peeled, in chunks
      1 x  Salt
      1 cup  Green Peas, shelled
    1/2 cup  Black Olives, sliced
      1 x  Parsley, chopped
  1 1/2 lb Rockfish, cut into chunks
      2 lb Mussels, rinsed, debearded
      2 lb Shrimps, large, peeled

Bring the stock to a boil, add saffron, simmer 10 minutes, and set
aside. In a large paella pan or other large pan, heat the olive oil.
Add the garlic and saute just till it begins to color. Add the onions
and saute to soften. Add the peppers and cook slightly, then remove
the vegetables form the pan and set aside. Add the chicken and brown,
remove from pan. Add sausage chunks and brown, remove from pan. Add
the squid and toss briefly. Add rice, tomatoes, stock, salt, sausage,
chicken, the reserved vegetables, peas, olives, and parsley,
reserving some of the parsley for garnish.
Stir, cover, and bring to a boil. Remove cover and arrange rockfish
pieces on top. Replace cover and cook about 5 minutes more. Uncover
and add mussels, cover and cook 5 minutes. Add the peeled and
deveined large shrimps, cover and cook until mussels open, shrimp are
cooked, and rice is tender. Add more stock or water at any point if
the rice appears too dry. The rice should be moist, not soupy.
Let the paella stand covered about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle
with remaining parsley. Place pan on a pad in center of table and
remove lid with a flourish!

>From The Open Hand Cookbook.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Mushroom Stew
Categories: Main dish, Vegetables
      Yield: 6 servings

      5 Tbsp Butter
      1 Tbsp Olive oil
      2 ea Bay leaves
      2 ea Cloves garlic, minced
      1 ea Onion, chopped
      2 Tbsp Flour
      1 cup  Vegetable broth
      1 cup  Tomato juice
      2 ea Tomatoes, peeled, quartered
  1 1/2 lb Mushrooms
      1 lb Small boiling onions
      1 cup  Green olives
      1 pinch Thyme, parsley, salt, pepper
      1 cup  Red wine

Melt 2 Tbsp butter with 1 Tbsp olive oil, add bay leaves, garlic &
onions, saute until golden.  Stir in flour and lower heat, cook for 2
min.  Add broth and juice, stir to remove lumps.  In separate pot, melt
3 Tbsp butter, add thyme and mushrooms.  Saute several minutes, then add
boiling onions and tomatoes. Simmer about 20 min, add red wine,
parsley, salt and pepper.  Add olives, and cook for a few more minutes.
(a Tbsp of pesto in each bowl of this stew is excellent!)

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Alejandro Rey's Empanada (Meat Pie)
Categories: Main dish, Empanadas
      Yield: 5 servings

      1 lb Ground Beef
      2    Garlic cloves; minced
      2    Hard boiled eggs
           - cold, chopped
    1/4 cup  Milk
           Salt & black pepper
           Raisins; to taste
           Green Olives; chopped
      1 pinch Crushed red pepper
           Cooking oil
      1 lg Onion; chopped
           Pastry Dough

*FILLING*
Fry onions in cooking oil until soft.  Add minced garlic and brown
lightly. Drain oil.  Add ground beef to onions and saute until meat
turns a light brown.  Add chopped olives, eggs, salt and black
pepper, raisins, pinch of red pepper and milk.  Allow to simmer
(uncovered) over low heat for 5 mins,

PASTRY DOUGH: Any good grade of commercial pie crust mix will give
satisfactory results -or- use your own favorite recipe .... Roll out
dough 1/8" thickness and cut with a 5" cutter. Place meat filling on
one side of the dough.  Fold the other side over the filling and
pinch the edges. Deep fry in hot cooking oil until crisp and brown ..
or .. bake in a 400 degree oven until the crust is a golden brown
Yields 5 meat pies

MMMMM

>From the recipe collection of Fred Towner

.... Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Requests/Recipes go to [email-masked];
Questions/Comments to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.