Subject: Okonomiyaki - Japanese Pizza
From: "Strawberry Girl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:53:34 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I'm told that this is authentic and that it is kid's food. Regardless, it's
yummy!

Okonomiyaki
(Japanese Pizza)

Source: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

1 sheet nori (about 8x7 inches) (seaweed)

Sauce:
1/4 cup catsup
1 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. sake
1 tsp. soy sauce

Okonomiyaki:
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup water
2 tbsp. sake
pinch salt
2 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 1/2 inch strips)
1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 1/2 inch strips)
4 whole scallions, cut in half lengthwise and into 1-inch strips (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cooked shrimp, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (or cooked crabmeat, chicken,
bacon, whatever meat you'd like)
mayonnaise

Toast the nori by waving it over a flame until it stiffens slightly, but be
careful--it burns easily.  Crumble into little pieces and set aside.
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 30
seconds, stirring constantly.  Remove from the heat and cool to room
temperature.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl.  Add the flour and water and continue beating
until you have a batter the consistency of pancake batter.  Add the sake and
salt.  Fold in the cabbage, carrots, and scallions.  Be sure to mix the
batter an vegetables together evenly.  Each okonomiyaki will use 1/4 of this
mixture.
Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a standard 10-inch skillet.  Spoon 1/4 of the
batter onto the hot skillet (like a pancake) making sure the vegetables are
evenly distributed.  Then sprinkle 1/4 of the shrimp or meat of you choice
on top.  Cook each side on medium heat for 2 minutes, until lightly browned.
Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes,
occasionally turning and gently pressing the okonomiyaki with a spatula.
Prepare three more okonomiyaki as above.  Keep the finished pancakes warm in
a low oven while making the rest, or use two skillets and make two
okonomiyaki at a time.

Serve hot with the sauce to taste--I recommend 1 tbsp. per okonomiyaki-- and
 top with about a tsp. of mayonnaise and a sprinkling of toasted nori.

Christine
[email-masked]
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.