Subject: FISH: Nuoc Cham (was Re: Goi Ga)
From: [email-masked] (Carol Miller-Tutzauer)
Date: 2 Oct 90 21:36:17 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

The sauce that goes on into the salad (shredded cabbage & carrots,
with bits of ginger & peanuts, along with shredded chicken) is
called Nuoc Cham, and is also delicious with chilled rice noodles,
a bit of fried meat, crushed peanuts, and crispy vegetables (bean
sprouts and shredded lettuce).  Here is my modified recipe, 
originally from The Classic Cuisine of Vietnam by Bach Ngo and
Gloria Zimmerman:

Nuoc Cham
---------

1 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)
1/2 t red chili paste or red chili pepper, chopped
2 heaping t sugar (superfine, if possible)
1 t fresh lime juice
2 T fish sauce (Squid brand or other, sometimes called patis)
2 1/T water (or more if necessary)
chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves), about 1 t, or
   chopped fresh mint

Mix all ingredients together.  Taste, and if mixture is too
strong for your liking, mix another 1/2 T or so water in it.
A few carrot shreds also makes it more colorful, if you so
choose.

Carol Miller-Tutzauer
bitnet: riacmt@ubvms