Subject: North African Spiced Lamb
From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Feb 1997 05:15:31 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I am not sure if this is Morocco or Tunis But it is North African

SPICED LAMB TOPPED WITH TOMATOES (M'fkoul) North Africa

source: North African cooking
serves 4

1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
6 lamb shanks each weighing about 8 oz and 2 inch thick
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 red onions, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
3 large, ripe well-flavored tomatoes, peeled, deseeded , and halved
fine granulated sugar

Mix together the cinnamon, cumin, ginger, parsley, and cilantro in a small
bowl. Spread over the lamb and leave in a cool place for 3-4 hours. Heat 2
1/2 tablespoons oil in a heavy flame proof casserole, add the onion,
sprinkle with salt and cook very gently, stirring occasionally, until
browned and caramelized. remove from the casserole.Preheat the oven to 325
deg F.  Brown the lamb in the casserole, adding more oil as necessary. Add
any remaining spice and herb mixture and seasoning then cover the lamb
with the onions. Blend a little water with the tomato paste in a jug, then
pour over the onions. Add sufficient water to almost cover, bring to just
on simmering point then cover tightly and cook in the oven for about 1
hour and 40 minutes or until the lamb is tender. Put a tomato half, cut
side down, on each lamb shank. Check the seasoning and spicing of the
cooking liquid, then baste the tomatoes. Sprinkle with fine granulated
sugar, cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes. 

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.