Subject: Nepali Goat Curry
From: Lawrence Wheeler <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2000 06:47:41 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Nepali Goat Curry

In this recipe, the meat is marinated in a small amount of yogurt, ginger, 
garlic, red chili paste, turmeric, salt and clarified butter for up to four 
hours.  It is then cooked with several other herbs and spices.  Nepali garam 
masala or masu ko masala is added at the end of cooking process to retain 
pleasant aroma.  The meat cooks in its own juice with the help of some water.   
The marinated spices add flavor and tenderness.  It is served with rice, 
puffed-bread, chiura and a selection of chutney and vegetables.

Preparation and marinating time: 4 hour and 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending upon the age of meat)
Yields:  4-6 servings
Serving suggestions: Serve with freshly boiled rice, lentil daal, and
vegetable curry or with
puffed bread (Poori)

3 pounds lean goat meat, (bone-in or boneless - preferably from shoulder
or leg), cut into 1 or
1 1/2-inch cubes, excess fat removed
1 tablespoon clarified butter (gheu)
1 1/2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced to fine paste (to
yield 11/2 tablespoons)
6 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced and mashed to paste (to yield 1
tablespoon)
6 whole red dried chili pepper, stemmed, broken into 2 pieces, seeded,
soaked in 1/2 cup hot
water until doubled in size, drained and minced to fine paste
1/2 cup unflavored plain yogurt, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
4 tablespoon light oil (any variety)
1 pound yellow or white onion, peeled and chopped fine (to yield 4 cups)

3-4 medium size vine-ripped red tomato, finely chopped or mashed
1 tablespoon cumin, dry-roasted and ground
1 1/2 tablespoon coriander, dry-roasted and ground
1 teaspoon fennel seed, dry-roasted and ground
1/2 cup water and more  if needed
2-teaspoon Nepali garam masala or masu ko masala (see glossary)
1 or 2 bunches of cilantro leaves (fresh coriander), washed well,
chopped to yield 1/2 cup
4 scallions, white and pale green parts only, root end discarded and
sliced into cubes

Wash meat pieces thoroughly with cold water.  Cut into 1 or a 1/2 inch
pieces.  Trim away as much visible fat as possible.  Prepare the herb and spices
as indicated in the ingredients.  In a mixing bowl, combine meat, clarified 
butter, ginger, garlic, chili, yogurt, turmeric and salt.  Rub and message well 
into each piece vigorously by using hand. Cover and allow the meat to marinate 
up to four hours in room temperature or can be placed in the refrigerator 
overnight.  Bring it back to room temperature before cooking.
When ready to proceed, heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high 
heat.  When hot, add onion and cook until golden brown and until the oil starts 
separating from the side of the pan.  Add tomato and cook until all the moisture
has evaporated, stirring frequently. Mix ground cumin, coriander and fennel.  
Add marinated meat pieces and mix to coat the spices well. Add 1/2 cup of water 
and continue cooking covered.  When it is boiling, reduce the heat to simmer.  
Continue cooking until the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced and 
thickened.  At this stage of cooking, the oil will start to separate and float 
on top of the gravy.  Add garam masala and stir well. Add more water (2 
tablespoons at a time) if the meat is not cooked, continue cooking until the 
desired tenderness is obtained.  The secret to success this recipe is to keep 
adding small amount of water and let it evaporate before more is added.   Remove
from heat and adjust salt.  When ready to serve, transfer to serving dish, add 
cilantro and scallions. Serve hot.  

Nepali Garam Masala

1/2 CUP CUMIN SEEDS
1/2 CUP CORIANDER SEEDS
1 TABLESPOON BLACK PEPPERCORN
1 TABLESPOON CARDAMOM SEEDS
2 INCH CINNAMON STICK
1 TABLESPOON WHOLE CLOVES
1 TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG ( Do not dry roast)

Dry roast the spices separately in a pan over  medium heat until fragrant.  
Grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder.  Store in a airtight jar.  

submitted by Jyoti Pathak [email-masked]

AsiaRecipe.Com
Enjoy this and other Asian recipes, ingredient
information, substitute lists, herb uses and  more
http://asiarecipe.com/

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.