Subject: Naan
From: [email-masked] (Kamala Bright)
Date: 1 Oct 1997 21:48:21 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Here is the recipe you requested for Naan bread.  

               NAAN
(Indian leavened baked bread) 

3  3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg
6 tablespoons plain yogurt
3 tablespoons melted ghee*
salt to taste
1 cup milk (approx)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl and mix well.
Add all the remaining ingredients except the milk,  poppy seeds and 1
tablespoon ghee.  Mix everything together well.
Gradually add the milk  to the flour mixture and knead lightly to form a
soft dough.  Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and put into a warm place
to rise for 2 hours. 
Knead the dough again and divide it into six to eight balls.  Roll out
these on  an floured surfaced in one direction, so as to make an oval
6-8 inches long. Pull the dough with your hands to stretch it.
Wet the naan on one side with water and place it  this side down on a
baking sheet.
Brush with the reserved melted ghee and sprinkle a few poppy seeds on
top.  Bake for 5-10 minutes in an oven heated to 400F.
An alternative way to cook the naan is to place it on a heated frying
pan or griddle.  Cook on one side, then brush the uncooked side with
melted ghee, sprinkle with the seeds and place under a hot broiler for
about 5 minutes.  Serve hot.

GHEE

This is clarified butter which is widely used to fry ingredients in
Indian cookery.
Melt 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter in a small saucepan and let it simmer
very gently until all the water evaporates.  This has happened when the
white, milky particles at the top of the butter turn golden..  It takes
anything from 20-45 minutes.  Remove the pan from the heat and strain
the butter through several layers of cheesecloth.  Pour into a clean jar
when cool and keep covered.  

Kamala Bright

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.