Subject: Collection (3) Mussels
From: Speeders Kitchen <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Feb 1999 09:51:27 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

MUSSELS AU GRATIN
MUSSEL FRITTERS
FRIED MUSSELS

MUSSELS AU GRATIN

4 dozen mussels, in shells
4 oz. butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 small onion, minced
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper
1 cup mussel broth
2 Tbsp sherry
1 cup cracker crumbs
watercress

Select large, fresh mussels with shells closed. Scrub shells well and rinse 
under running water. (If time allows let mussels soak 2 hours in large pot 
filled with water. Discard any mussels that float.) Pour 1 inch of water into 
large kettle; add 1 tsp. salt and mussels. Cover and steam 3 minutes or until 
shells begin to open. Remove and drain. Strain broth thorugh fine sieve; set 
broth aside. Take mussels from shells; remove dark, hairy beard; set meats 
aside.  Melt 2 oz. butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute 
gently for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Gradually add flour, stirring 
continually. When very smooth, slowly add 1 cup mussel broth. Continue stirring 
until sauce is thick (about 5 minutes). Add salt, pepper, and sherry. Make sauce
of desired thickness by adding more mussel broth if necessary.  In casserole 
arrange alternate layers of musselos, sauce, cracker crumbs, and light 
sprinkling of cheese until ingredients are all used. Save sufficient crumbs and 
cheese for top layer. Dot top with other 2 oz. of butter. Bake in preheated 350 
degree F. oven for 15 minutes or until top is golden brown. 

MUSSEL FRITTERS

1 cup fresh, raw mussels, minced
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp butter or shortening

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl. Break eggs into small 
bowl; beat until foamy. Add to flour mixture and blend well. Gradually add milk.
When very smooth, add melted butter and stir well. (Batter should be thin for 
best results.) Add mussels to mixture and stir well.  Melt other butter or 
shortening in shallow frying pan. Heat to 375 degrees F., hot but not smoking. 
Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot fat; fry 3 minutes or until golden brown. 
Drain on absorbent paper.  Variation: Cooked shellfish, flaked, such as lobster,
crayfish, crab meat, or shrimp may be used. Oysters, and clams, if used, should 
not be cooked but used raw and minced. 

FRIED MUSSELS

4 dozen mussels
1/2 cup flour
4 oz.butter
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
4 Tbsp chopped chives

Scrub mussel shells well under cold running water. Remove mussels from shells.  
Salt mussels lightly, then dip in flour, then in beaten egg. Roll in cracker 
crumbs.  Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Drop mussels into hot 
butter. Fry quickly only 3 minutes, until golden brown. Turn over and fry 
another 2 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot.  

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.