Subject: Mussels Mariniere
From: [email-masked] (LeiG)
Date: 26 Jun 1997 07:19:30 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>Fom: "Paul Steinkamp" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Steaming Mussels

MUSSELS MARINIERE
source : Good Housekeeping
serves 4

3 pounds mussels (about 5-6 dozen)
butter or margarine
3 shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley

Discard any mussel that remains open when tapped with fingers. Rinse
thoroughly under running cold water to remove all the sand. Scrub clean
with a stiff metal brush, scraping off any loose barnacles with a knife.
With shears, clip off beards.
In 5 quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium high heat, in 2
tablespoons hot butter or margarine, cook shallots and garlic 1 minute,
stirring. add wine and mussels. Sprinkle mussels with salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer 6-8 minutes until shells open, stirring occasionally.
With slotted spoon, remove mussels to bowl, (Discard any that remain
unopened). Without disturbing sediment in bottom of saucepan, pour stock
into 1 1/2 quart saucepan, heat. Meanwhile, discard halves of mussel
shells to which meat is not attached. Arrange mussels in shells, open side
up, in soup plates. Into hot stock, stir 1 tablespoons butter or
margarine, Pour over mussels, sprinkle servings with parsley.

Lei Gui
Bronx,NY
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/3658

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.