Subject: Mu Shu Vegetables
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jul 1999 21:27:56 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Mu Shu Vegetables

3 dried black mushrooms
1 cup tiger lily buds
1/4 cup jicama, peeled
1 small carrot
1 small zucchini
1 stalk celery
8 mandarin pancakes or flour tortillas
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
4 cups loose packed shredded cabbage
1 green onion, with top, thinly sliced
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp water
1/3 cup hoisin sauce

Soak lily buds and mushrooms separately in warm water for 30 min., drain. Cut 
off and discard mushroom stems and slice caps into matchstick pieces. Cut off 
hard knobby ends of lily buds and tie each bud into a knot. Set aside buds a nd 
shrooms. Cut jicama, zucchini, and celery into matchstick pieces, set aside in 
separate bowls. Wrap tortillas in clean towel, place in steamer and heat over 
simmering water for 5 minutes. Place wok on high heat until hot. (You may need 
to spry with Pam or use a bit of water to protect from sticking.) Add garlic and
ginger, cook while stirring until fragrant, not burnt, about 5 seconds. Add 
carrots and Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add jicama, zucchini, celery, cabbage, 
green onion, and broth. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until vegetables are 
crisp-tender. Add shrooms, buds, stir in soy sauce and sugar. Add cornstarch 
solution, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. To serve: spread a small 
amount of Hoisin sauce on each tortilla. Place about 3 tbsp. vegetables in 
center of pancake, wrap like a burrito and eat out of hand.  
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.