Subject: Moussaka
From: [email-masked] (Beth Boswell)
Date: 23 Apr 1996 11:24:06 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>On a recent trip to Athens,  I had a dish called Moussaka at the Athens Hilton

Moussaka

2 medium eggplants, about 1               1 cup freshly grated Parmesean
  pound each, sliced 1/4 inch thick       
1/2 tablespoon salt                       1/2 cup olive oil

Meat Sauce                                   Topping
2 yellow onions, peeled and               1/3 cup butter
  chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil                   1/2 cup flour

2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or          1 quart milk
  lamb
                                          1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon salt                           1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3 cups Greek Tomato Sauce                 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
  (recipe follows)                        6 eggs beaten     
Cinnamon to taste                         Extra cheese for garnish

Slice the eggplants and sprinkle with the salt.  Place in a colander to drain
for 1/2 hour.
  Prepare the meat sauce by heating a large nonstick frying pan, add the onions
and 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Saute until the onions are clear and then add
the meat.
Saute until the meat begins to brown.  Add the salt and the Greek Tomato
Sauce and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.  Taste for cinnamon and add the 
cheese.  Set aside.
  Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry with paper towels.  Pour the 1/2 cup
olive oil onto a large baking sheet and dip the slices in it, coating
both sides.  Arrange the slices on the sheet and bake at 425 for 30 minutes,
turning once during this time.  The slices should be tender.
  Prepare the topping by melting the butter in a small frying pan and
stirring in the flour, making a roux.  Cook for  a few moments.  Heat the
milk in a saucepan and stir in the butter-flour mixture, using a wire whisk.
Stir over medium heat until it thickens.  Stir in the salt, nutmeg, and
cheese.  Stir 1 cup of the hot sauce into the beaten eggs, using the whisk.
Stir this mixture back into the sauce pan and stir the whole over medium
heat until it is thick and rich.

THE CONSTRUCTION
  Arrange 1/2 of the eggplant in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and top
with the meat mixture.  Place the remaining eggplant slices on the meat and
pour the topping over the whole.  Sprinkle the cheese for garnish on top and
bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Cut into squares at serving time.

Greek Tomato Sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
5 very ripe tomatoes, cored and 
  coarsley chopped(about 4 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons whole oregano
1 cup dry red wine
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of ground allspice
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large nonstick frying pan and add the olive oil.  Saute the onion and
garlic until clear.  Add the tomatoes, parsley, and oregano.  Simmer,
covered until the tomatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes.  Add remaining
ingredients and cook and additional 20 minutes.
Beth 
[email-masked]
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. 
Recipes/requests go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to
[email-masked].  Please allow several days for your submission to
appear.