Subject: Moroccan Vegatable Stew
From: [email-masked] (Kamala Bright)
Date: 28 Sep 1997 05:57:10 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This ia a hearty vegetarian stew sweetened with cinnamon and prunes.
Source  Good Housekeeping magazine.

    MOROCCAN VEGETABLE STEW 

PREP;15 minutes
COOK; 40  minutes 

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1
inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 15 to 19 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup couscous (Moroccan pasta)
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

In nonstick 12 inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add
carrots, squash, and onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.

Stir in garbanzo beans, stewed tomatoes, prunes, cinnamon, salt, crushed
red pepper and 1 1/12 cups water; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to low; 
cover and simmer 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. 
Meanwhile, prepare couscous as label directs but use vegetable broth in
place of the water called for on label. Stir cilantro into stew.  Spoon
stew over couscous to serve.  Makes 4 main dish servings.  Each serving: 
about 485 calories, 16 g protein, 94 g carbohydrate, 7 g total fat (1 g
saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 1030 mg sodium. 

Enjoy       Kamala Bright

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.