Subject: Moroccan Roasted Lamb
From: Strawberry Girl <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Feb 1997 08:30:23 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

from:   Jeff Smith's "The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors"

Moroccan Roasted Lamb

2 tbsp ground coriander seeds
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
1-1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil or ghee
1 5-pound leg of lamb

garnish:        1 tbsp ground cumin mixed with 1 tbsp salt

Mix all the ingredients except the garnish and rub on the leg of lamb. 
Let sit 10 minutes. Roast the lamb according to the instructions listed
below.  Allow it to sit a few minutes before slicing. Place the cumin and
salt garnish in a small dish and let each gues sprinkle a bit on his or
her sliced lamb. 

TO ROAST LAMB:

For Rare Lamb

Have the lamb at room temperature.  Heat the oven to 400F.  Insert a meat
thermometer in the thickest part of the leg, being careful not to touch
the bone.  Place in a pan with a roasting rack and roast at 400F for 40
minutes, so the meat can brown.  Turn down the oven to 325F and roast for
an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until the thermometer registers 140F. 

For Medium Lamb

Follow the above instructions but cook a bit longer so that the
thermometer registers 145F - 150F.

Christine 
[email-masked]

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.