Subject: Moghlai Chicken
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Sep 1999 11:17:37 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]
from Duesseldorf, Germany

Moghlai Chicken

Here is a recipe found at

Victor

        Moghlai Chicken
     Categories: Poultry 
      Yield: 6 servings 
  
3 1/2 lb Chicken;whole 
1 ts -Salt 
-freshly ground black pepper 
2 tb Vegetable oil 
4 tb Butter;unsalted 
7    Cardamom pods;whole 
8    Cloves, whole 
1    Cinnamon stick; 2 inch piece 
2    Bay leaves 
2 1/2 tb Almonds;blanched, slivered 
2 1/2 tb Raisins 
1 c  Yogurt, plain 
1 ts Cumin, ground; freshly-ground for best results 
1/2 ts Cayenne pepper

Remove skin from chicken. Cut into serving pieces, cutting whole legs
into two pieces and whole breasts into 6 pieces. Spread chicken in
single layer and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste; pat
into chicken to help it adhere. Turn chicken over and repeat with
another 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
Heat oil and butter in large skillet, preferably non stick, over
medium-high heat. When hot, add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves
and as many chicken pieces as pan will hold in single layer. (Do not
crowd.)
Brown chicken on both sides; transfer with slotted spoon to ovenproof
casserole. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Add almonds to hot oil in skillet and stir. As soon as they begin to
brown, about 1 minute, stir in raisins. Immediately pour contents of
skillet, fat and all over chicken.
In small bowl, stir together yogurt, cumin, cayenne, remaining salt and
black pepper to taste. Pour over chicken; mix well.
Cover casserole; place in preheated 350F oven 20 minutes. Turn chicken
pieces over; baste with juices. Cover, return to oven 20 to 25 minutes
or until chicken is tender.
Just before serving, if necessary, reheat chicken over low heat. Remove
chicken pieces; transfer to warm serving dish. Spoon off most fat left
in casserole; discard. Place remaining sauce in casserole over
medium-high heat and boil until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour
thickened sauce over chicken.
  SERVES:6

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.