Subject: Mediterranean Chicken
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 1996 11:59:14 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked] 

This one from Lucy Waverman's Seasonal Canadian Cookbook.  In time for those
big holiday entertaining buffets.

3 heads garlic
8 whole boneless chicken breasts, skin on
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 tbls chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tbls dried
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lb smoked ham, thickly sliced
4 red onions, thickly sliced
1/2 cup brandy
2 bay leaves
1 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 400* Add garlic to pot of cold water, and bring to boil. 
Boil for 3 minutes, drain and peel the garlic cloves. Cut each chicken
breast in half, then in thirds. In shallow dish. combine flour, salt,
pepper and 1 tbsp fresh rosemary. Coat chicken pieces with flour. Heat
olive oil in large fry pan on high heat.  Brown chicken in batches, about
1 - 2 minutes per side.  Remove with slotted spoon to large ovenproof
casserole. Turn heat to medium-low.  Dice ham and add to frying pan with
the onions, garlic and remaining rosemary.  Saute until onions are
golden-brown, about 10 minutes.  Pour in the brandy and bring to boil.
Scrape contents of frying pan over chicken breasts, add bay leaves and
olives and bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is
cooked through.  Sprinkle with parsley. 

Serves 16 to 20
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. 
Recipes/requests go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to
[email-masked].  Please allow several days for your submission to
appear.