Subject: Mediterranean Veal Burgers
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Oct 1999 12:55:11 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Mediterranean Veal Burgers

1 pound ground veal
1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread, approx. 8 inches in diameter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 slices (1/4-inch thick) unpeeled eggplant
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto, divided
1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, cut into strips

Cut focaccia into quarters. Using a serrated knife, split each quarter
horizontally in half. Pull out 1/4 inch soft bread crumbs from cut sides of
tops of focaccia; process in food processor fitted with metal blade. Reserve
1/4 cup bread crumbs for veal mixture; reserve remaining crumbs for another
use (may be frozen up to 3 months).
In medium bowl, combine veal, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper, mixing
lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons pesto. Place patties
in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; place eggplant slices
around edges of grid. Grill, uncovered, 12 to 14 minutes or until centers of
burgers are no longer pink and eggplant slices are tender, turning once.
Place focaccia, cut side down, on grid. Grill 1 to 2 minutes. Spread
remaining 1/3 cup pesto over cut sides of focaccia. Arrange eggplant slice
and red pepper on bottoms of focaccia; top with burger. Close sandwich.
Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/4 of recipe).

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.