Subject: Meatless Tamale Pie
From: "kenk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:22:08 +0200
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Meatless Tamale Pie

A easy substitute for the real thing Quoting from the "World of Mexican Cooking"
by Mary Curry   "Cooking tamales ,from my viewpoint, is a monumental task and 
should not be undertaken unless you are in the Himalayas or in an equally remote
spot and you feel that you will perish unless you have a tamale"  She goes on to
explain how to do it for four pages and it requires several days  Margaritas and
some guacamole with chips and/or vegetable "dippers" would start this 
Mexican-style dinner off right. Ladle out black bean soup to precede the tamale 
pie, and serve a Caesar salad with it. Finish by teaming lime sorbet with orange
segments that have been marinated in tequila.

1 pound poblano chilies
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 to 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained, 3/4 cup juice reserved
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, cut crosswise
into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
7 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tomatoes, sliced
Fresh cilantro sprigs

Roast poblano chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
Enclose chilies in paper bag. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and coarsely chop
chilies.  Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high 
heat. Add corn kernels and cook until beginning to brown, stirring occasionally,
about 5 minutes. Add jalapeno chilies, garlic, cumin and oregano; saute 2 
minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in roasted poblano chilies, canned tomatoes, 1/2 
cup reserved juice from canned tomatoes, green onions and cilantro. Season with 
salt and pepper.  Cook squash in large pot of boiling salted water until 
crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Set aside. Mix cheeses in medium bowl.  
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Combine 5 
cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil. 
Combine cornmeal and remaining 2 cups water in medium bowl. Gradually whisk 
cornmeal mixture into boiling salted water. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 
until cornmeal is very tender and mixture is thick, stirring often, about 14 
minutes. Remove from heat and mix in yogurt. Spread 2/3 of cornmeal over bottom 
of prepared dish (cover remaining cornmeal to keep warm). Arrange squash over 
cornmeal in dish. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 cups cheese 
over squash. Spoon corn kernel mixture evenly over cheese, spreading with 
spatula. Spread remaining cornmeal evenly over corn kernel mixture. Arrange 
tomato slices atop cornmeal, pressing gently. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup juice from canned tomatoes over. Sprinkle remaining 
cheese evenly over casserole. Bake casserole uncovered until heated through and 
top is golden, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and 
refrigerate. Rewarm, covered with foil, in 350F oven until heated through, about
30 minutes.) Let casserole stand 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and 
serve

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.