Subject: Maltese Stuffed Cuttlefish
From: [email-masked] (lambchopdelite)
Date: 19 Apr 2000 22:41:09 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>From: "RikkU DikkU" <[email-masked]>
>Can anybody from the island of Malta submit some typical Maltese dish
>recipes ?

KLAMARI MIMLIJIN     Stuffed Cuttlefish

1 lb. 12 oz cuttlefish
1 fillet of anchovy
2 cupfuls soft breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon mixed herbs (parsley, mint and marjoram)
2 onions
4 large tomatoes
1 hard-boiled egg
1 egg 
1 tablespoon capers
2 tablespoons oil for frying
2 olives 

Discard the insides and the bone from the fish. Take out the inkbag
but keep the tentacles. Fry the onion lightly in the two tablespoons
of oil. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes. Reserve two
tablespoons of this sauce to moisten the other filling ingredients.
Beat the cuttlefish with a wooden spoon to soften them. Combine the
breadcrumbs, the sauce, the hard-boiled egg, capers, olives, anchovy,
herbs and raw egg. Fill the cuttlefish with this stuffing, and sew the
open end. Add to the hot tomato sauce and simmer until cooked. The
chopped tentacles are also added to the sauce together with enough
water to prevent it from drying. The sauce is usually served with
spaghetti. The cuttlefish may be cut in rings and served at the same
time or kept for a second course. 
Serves 4. 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.