Subject: Maltese Seafood (6) Collection
From: [email-masked] (lambchopdelite)
Date: 19 Apr 2000 22:38:57 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Octopus Stew 
Fried Dorado with Piquant Sauce 
Dorado Casserole with Wine and Herbs 
Dorado Pie 
FISH COOKED IN MICROWAVE OVEN
Garlic Fried Lampuka (Dorado Fish)

>From: "RikkU DikkU" <[email-masked]>
>Can anybody from the island of Malta submit some typical Maltese dish
>recipes ?

Octopus Stew 

1 octopus weighing about one ratal (l  1/4 lb.)
2 tablespoons oil
4 large onions
2 tablespoons tomato puree
8 olives
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon chopped mint
1 teaspoon mixed spice 
1/2 pint red wine

Do not be put off by the slimy and unattractive appearance of the
uncooked octopus. Get your fishmonger to remove the ink bag and the
eyes. Wash the fish under running water. Beat it well with a meat
hammer or any other lethal weapon! Then cut it with a sharp knife into
bite-sized pieces. Heat the oil and fry the onion in it until golden.
Add the fish and cook slowly for a few minutes. Then add the other
ingredients and simmer very slowly for at least 2 hours, stirring from
time to time. Do not allow the stew to become dry. If it does you may
add a little hot water. This stew may be served piping hot over
spaghetti or it may be made into a main course by adding 1 1/2 lb. of
peeled and quartered potatoes towards the end of cooking time. 
Serves 4-6. 

Fried Dorado with Piquant Sauce 

1 medium-sized dolphin-fish
3 tablespoons tomato puree
2 or 3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon vinegar
Salt and pepper 
1 dessertspoon sugar
Shallow oil for frying

For the sauce:
1 tablespoon chopped olives
2 medium-sized onions, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped capers
2 tablespoons oil

Cut the cleaned fish into 4 pieces across the backbone. Dip the pieces
in flour and fry them on a slow fire in the oil. Make sure that no
blood remains close to the bones. Allow to cool slightly, then remove
the bones and place the fish in a fairly shallow dish. To make the
sauce fry the onions in the oil until soft, and the tomato puree and
cook for a few more minutes. Add half a pint of hot water and allow to
simmer slowly for at least an hour. Add the other ingredients and cook
for a further 10 minutes. Correct the seasoning and pour the sauce
over the fish. This dish can be served hot but it definitely tastes
better cold. 
Serves 4 

Dorado Casserole with Wine and Herbs 

2 medium-sized dolphin-fish
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pint red wine
1/4 pint water
A sprig of rosemary and some peppercorns
Salt

Tie the rosemary and peppercorns into a muslin bag. Put the fish and
other ingredients in a saucepan. The fish may be left whole if the pan
is large enough. Bring to the boil and simmer until fish is done. 
Serves 4-6. 

Dorado Pie 

2 lb. dolphin-fish
1 sliced onion
2 tomatoes. peeled and chopped or 1 dessertspoon tomato puree
1 medium-sized cauliflower
1 lb. 12 oz (800g) spinach
8 olives (optional)
A handful of sultanas (optional)
6 shelled walnuts (optional)

For the pastry:
1 lb. flour
8 oz shortening
A pinch of salt
Cold water to mix (about < pint)

Cut each fish into 4 portions. Dip the portions in flour and
fry in shallow fat until cooked through. Be careful not to overcook.
Remove the bones. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients. Fry
the sliced onion in 2 tablespoons oil until soft. Add the tomatoes or
the puree. Add the cleaned spinach and the cauliflower together with 1/2
pint of water. Cover closely and cook until vegetables are soft. Add
the 3 last ingredients, if liked. Line a 12" x 8" pie dish with a
layer of pastry. Put half of the vegetable mixture on this. Place the
fish portions on top. Cover with the remaining vegetables and with a
pastry lid. Bake on the middle shelf of a preheated oven. Keep the
temperature high for the first 15 to 20 minutes. If preferred, the
cauliflower and the spinach may be boiled separately. If so, they
should still be reheated in the onion and tomato mixture. 
Serves 4. 

FISH COOKED IN MICROWAVE OVEN

1 fish (grouper or dorado) that fits in your oven 
fresh bread crumbs amount depends on how big the fish is 
2 teaspoons parsley 
garlic as much as you prefer, minced 
1 spoon capers 
two spoons olives already cut in small pieces 
olive oil 
1 lemon 

Clean the fish removing scales and the inside. Clean it under running
water and wipe well with tissues. Prepare the filling by mixing the
bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, capers, and olives. Set aside. Rub the
inside of the fish with a piece of lemon. Fill in the cavity with the
filling. Cut two small slices of lemon and place inside the head of
the fish. Put the fish in a suitable dish. Squeeze some lemon over the
fish sprinkle with olive oil. If you have any slices of lemon you can
cover the fish with them. Place the fish in the microwave oven and
cook for 10 minutes. The fish must be well-done. Continue cooking if
necessary. To check if the fish is ready you should pierce along the
middle of the fish down to its backbone to see if the flesh is done or
not. 

Garlic Fried Lampuka (Dorado Fish)

1/2 cup fresh chopped garlic
unsalted butter
Fish filets

Chop up fresh garlic into small pieces.The amount depends on the amount of fish 
you will be cooking. At least 1/2 cup!  Brown garlic over medium heat using 
"UNSALTED" butter , which will not burn  When the garlic is browned and crunchy 
fry the fish over the garlic then turn. The garlic will stick to the fish.  The 
result is a fine garlic flavor . This is always a favorite on the shores of the 
SEA OF CORTEZ. You can substitute other white fish - sea bass , grouper etc.  
As given Mark Coulton Pierce (chef) 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.