Subject: Maltese Poultry (6) Collection
From: [email-masked] (lambchopdelite)
Date: 19 Apr 2000 22:29:47 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Wild Duck with Piquant Sauce
Roast Stuffed Turkey 
Stuffed Chicken
Braised Quail 
Pigeon Pie
Plover

>From: "RikkU DikkU" <[email-masked]>
>Can anybody from the island of Malta submit some typical Maltese dish
>recipes ?

Wild Duck with Piquant Sauce

1 jointed wild duck
8 stoned olives
2 onions or 8-10 pickled onions
1 tablespoon capers
1 teaspoon sugar
1 dessertspoon tomato puree
1/2 pint red wine
Salt and pepper

Fry the duck until brown. Remove the duck and fry the onions in the
same oil. Add the tomato puree and a little more than half the wine.
Return the pieces of duck to this pan, or place everything in a larger
pan with a well fitting lid. Allow to simmer until duck is cooked, 2
hours or more. Add the remaining wine, if necessary. Add the olives,
capers and sugar about 10 minutes before serving. Plain boiled
potatoes are a good accompaniment. 
Serves 4. 

Roast Stuffed Turkey 

It is customary to stuff the bird between the skin and flesh of the
breast, as well as filling the cavities: This keeps the bird moist and
well flavoured. The classic Maltese stuffing is based on fresh pork
force-meat 

Turkey
2 lb. pork force-meat
1/2 lb. breadcrumbs or bread soaked in milk
4 oz ham
1 oz pistachio nuts
3 hard-boiled eggs
4-5 well beaten eggs
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
A little grated onion
Finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients together, adding the hard-boiled eggs at the
end. Separate the skin and flesh at the neck end. Stuff not too
tightly, leaving enough room for swelling. At the other end stuff the
bird between the skin and flesh at the top of the legs. Sew up and
prick the skin in a few places. Roast in the usual way. 

Stuffed Chicken 

1 boiling fowl
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

For the stuffing:
1-2 eggs
8-10 tablespoons of fresh breadcrumbs
Small pinch of salt
Pepper
4 oz cooked ham (chopped)
1 hard-boiled egg

When planning to make a stuffed chicken buy a loaf of 'French' bread a
couple of days beforehand, as it will be much easier to turn into
crumbs when it is dry. Maltese bread is not suitable for crumbling. Cut
the loaf in half horizontally and use a fork to make crumbs. Do not
discard the outer shell of crust. Add the other ingredients, using
only a little salt if you think the ham may be salty, and enough egg
to bind the mixture. Rub the bird with a halved lemon both inside and
out. Spoon the stuffing in and sew up the cavity. Boil and fry the
chicken. This is what you can make with the empty crusts of bread: Fry
a sliced onion or two. Add 1 lb. of minced meat. Simmer until meat is
done. Fill the bread boxes with the mixture and bake until heated
through. 
Serves 4. 

Alternative filling for chicken: 

12 oz minced pork 
The chicken liver
2 oz chopped bacon or ham
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 hard-boiled egg
1 raw egg
Pepper and salt 

Use this stuffing for a boiling or roasting chicken. 

Braised Quail 

Allow two quails per person
2 large onions
1 rasher bacon or ham
1/2 pint red wine
2 cloves of garlic
1 small bay leaf
1 slice of toast 

This recipe calls for a painstaking job, crushing the birds' heads.
The dish tastes equally good without this process. If you do plan to
use this method, cut off the heads before you start the cooking and
remove the beaks with a sharp knife. Fry the birds, including the
heads, in some oil or cooking fat until nicely brown. Take them out
and put them into another saucepan in which the final cooking will
take place. Fry the sliced onion and garlic in the pan in which the
birds were fried. When the onion is golden add the chopped bacon and
cook for a few more minutes. Add half the wine and cook on a brisk
fire for 3 minutes. Pour this mixture over the birds and simmer for
about 1/2 hour or until birds are cooked, adding more wine, if
necessary. Remove from the fire. Pick out the heads and crush them in
a mortar with a piece of toast. Add a little gravy to keep the mixture
moist. Sieve the crushed heads back into the saucepan and reheat. In
the meantime prepare one square of fried bread for each bird. Place
the cooked birds on the fried bread and pour a little gravy over each.
Boiled rice may be used instead of fried bread. 

Pigeon Pie 

6 pigeons
3 large potatoes
2 onions
Salt and pepper
1/2 pint wine
1 lb. short or puff pastry

Halve or quarter the birds. Fry the sliced onions in oil. Add the
birds and the wine and simmer until birds are tender. In the meantime
slice the potatoes very thinly and fry them in deep oil until done.
Line a pie dish with half of the pastry, add the potatoes and the
cooked birds and gravy. Cover with a pastry lid and bake in a hot oven
for 1/2- 3/4 hour. 

Serves 6. 

Plover 

2 plovers (dressed)
1 bay leaf
4 small onions
1/2 pint white wine

Cut the onions in half and put them in a saucepan with the birds
together with a tablespoon of oil and 2 oz butter. Fry very gently
till lightly brown. Add the bay leaf and the wine and simmer until the
birds are cooked, about 1 hour. Gallina (Woodcock) may be cooked in
the same way. 

Serves 2. 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.