Subject: Maltese (2) Collection
From: [email-masked] (lambchopdelite)
Date: 19 Apr 2000 22:37:23 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

BIGILLA
Maltese bread

>From: "RikkU DikkU" <[email-masked]>
>Can anybody from the island of Malta submit some typical Maltese dish
>recipes ?

BIGILLA

A traditional dish that is still occasionally sold in country villages
by street vendors or in supermarkets. It is a must in any restaurant
offering Maltese food. It is really a dip best eaten with crackers or
toast or a galletta (round shaped, hard baked biscuit). 

450g (1 lb) dried broad beans
1 chili pepper
1 tablespoon mixed chopped herbs (marjoram and mint)
crushed garlic as much as preferred
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
pepper

The dried beans should be soaked for at least twelve hours. Clean
thoroughly, put in fresh water, add salt and bring to boil. Simmer
until beans are tender. It is best to have ready boiling water to add
if necessary. This depends on how old the beans are. When ready drain.
Mash the beans and add the other ingredients. 

Maltese bread

Undoubtedly the Maltese bread, is indeed very good.
Today the Maltese bread is still very cheap. Before the bread was sold
to customers by a horse-drawn yellow, generally dirty box (carriage).
Today the baker comes with his van and roams round the city. You can
even pick on yourself, since there is an average of 2 bakeries per
village. The ingredients of this bread, remained the same - flour,
yeast, water and a lot of salt, but of course today there is a lot of
electric machines which do the work which used to be done by hand. We
use stale bread to make the traditional bread pudding. There are many
types of Maltese bread include:- tas-salib (of the cross), tas-sikkina
(of the knife), the ftira, and tal-kexxun (of the drawer). 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.