Subject: Maltese Rabbit (4) Collection
From: [email-masked] (Patricia Hill)
Date: 19 Apr 2000 22:25:21 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Garlic and Wine-Flavoured Rabbit 
Fried Rabbit 
Rabbit Casserole  
Garlic and Wine-Flavoured Rabbit 

>From: "RikkU DikkU" <[email-masked]>
>Can anybody from the island of Malta submit some typical Maltese dish
>recipes ?

Garlic and Wine-Flavoured Rabbit 

1 jointed rabbit
2 or 3 bay leaves
1 bottle of red wine
A large quantity of garlic - enough to cover the bottom of a frying pan 
Oil for frying

Pour about half the bottle of wine over the rabbit and leave for a few
hours or overnight. Peel the garlic and put it in a large frying pan
with about 3 tablespoons oil. Heat gently. Add as many joints of
rabbit as will fit in the pan and fry until brown on both sides. When
all the rabbit is fried return it to the pan and sprinkle it with the
wine in which the rabbit was soaked. Add the bay leaves. Cover and
cook gently till the rabbit is tender. This may be one hour, if the
rabbit is young. Up to 2 hours otherwise. Add more wine, if necessary.
Serves 4. 

Fried Rabbit 

1 jointed rabbit
1 dessertspoon tomato puree
1 whole head of garlic
1/4 pint water
Oil for frying

Place the tomato puree and the water in a deep pan. Simmer on a slow
fire. In the meantime fry the pieces of rabbit a few at a time,
together with the peeled garlic. The garlic should not be allowed to
turn brown, so add it after the rabbit joints. Fry them for about 10
minutes turning them over once or twice. Put them in the pan
containing tomato puree and water and simmer while frying the rest of
the rabbit. Correct seasoning, serve hot with plain boiled potatoes or chips. 
Serves 4. 

Rabbit Casserole  

1 jointed rabbit including the liver and heart
2 sliced carrots
4 oz boiled peas
2 sliced onions
4 cloves of garlic
Seasoned flour
1/2 pint red or white wine
Oil for frying

Roll the rabbit joints in seasoned flour. Fry the onions until golden.
Add the garlic and the carrots. Fry the rabbit joints in the same pan
until nicely brown. Add the wine and seasoning and simmer until
tender, between 1-1 1/2 hours according to the age of the rabbit. Add the
liver and the heart and the peas about 15 minutes before cooking time
is over. The true Maltese way of eating rabbit is to serve the sauce
with spaghetti as a first course and the rabbit joints with chips as a
second one. 
Serves 4. 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.