Subject: Maigret of Duck (2) Collection
From: Mimi Hiller <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Feb 2000 01:22:55 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Maigret Of Duck with Peach Sauce
Seared and Roasted Duck Breasts With Green Peppercorn Sauce

From: "Elaine R. Goldstein" <[email-masked]>
 >I'm looking for a recipe for maigret of duck. Any  idea where I can find
 >one? TIA

Maigret of Duck is simply breast of duck, so I'm including two of my 
favorite duck breast recipes.

This is an original recipe I created using my favorite parts of several 
recipes:

Maigret Of Duck with Peach Sauce
Serves: 4

4 duck breasts
salt & pepper
2 Tbsp oil
4 peach halves
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup Peach Schnapps
1/2 cup very cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

Season duck breast with salt & pepper on both sides and saute over high  heat, 
about 3 minutes on each side. Turn heat to low, cover, continue to cook until 
golden brown, about 5  minutes.  The insides should still be pink.  Remove from 
pan and keep warm. Microwave peach halves on high for 2 minutes and keep warm 
while you finish  the sauce. Add stock to pan and place over medium-high heat, 
scraping up the browned  bits. Stir Peach Schnapps into the stock and continue 
stirring until mixture  comes to a boil.  Remove pan from heat and whisk in cold
butter all at once. Slice duck breasts on the diagonal. Place a peach half on 
each of 4 heated plates.  Fan the slices of duck  breast on the plate next to 
the peaches.  Spoon a little of the sauce over  the duck and peaches.  Serve, 
passing the remaining sauce separately at the  table.  

This recipe comes from "French Food American Accent" by Debra Ponzek and 
Joan  Schwartz. I had this at Kay Hartman's house...it was one of those 
"Now I know I'm in love" moments.

Seared and Roasted Duck Breasts With Green Peppercorn Sauce
Makes 4 servings

For the duck breasts

4 duck breasts, about 8 ounces each
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  With a sharp knife, cut the flesh side  of 
the duck breasts in a shallow crosshatch pattern.  Season with salt and  pepper.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat until the pan begins to smoke  and 
sear the duck, fat-side down, 2 minutes.  Pour off the grease and place  the pan
in the oven until the duck is medium-rare, 10 to 12 minutes.  Turn  and cook the
other side 1 minute.  Remove from the pan and pour off the  grease.  The duck 
breasts will retain their heat while you prepare the sauce.

For the green peppercorn sauce

1/4 cup port
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon green peppercorns
1 cup veal stock [recipe below]
1 teaspoon butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the pan the duck was roasted in over high heat and add the port and  wine 
to the duck juices (be careful - they may ignite).  Add the  peppercorns and any
juices that have accumulated around the cooked duck  breasts and scrape the 
bottom of the pan, bringing up the browned bits and  incorporating them into the
juices.  Boil for 2 minutes, then add the veal  stock and boil gently 5 to 6 
minutes.  Swirl in the butter and season with  salt and pepper.

To serve  Cut each duck breast on the bias into 8 to 10 slices and arrange on  
individual plates. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the sauce, or to taste,  over 
the duck and serve immediately. 

Veal Stock

8 pounds veal bones
2 medium onions, cut into medium dice
4 medium carrots, cut into medium dice
4 stalks celery, cut into medium dice
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon black peppercorns

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.  Arrange the bones in 1 layer in a large 
roasting pan or 2 smaller pans and  roast 45 minutes.  Add the remaining 
ingredients and roast, turning every  10 minutes or so, until the bones and 
vegetables are golden brown, another  30 to 45 minutes.  With a large spoon or 
tongs, transfer the bones and vegetables to a  stockpot.  Pour off any fat from 
the roasting pan, add 2 to 3 cups water to  the pan, and scrape up browned 
particles from the bottom.  Pour the liquid into the stockpot over the bones and
vegetables and add  water as needed to cover them by 3 inches.  Bring to a boil 
over high heat;  then reduce the heat to medium and simmer 4 to 5 hours, 
skimming  frequently.  When done, the stock will have full flavor and color.  
Strain through a fine sieve into a large pot and reduce over high heat  until 2 
quarts remain.  Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until  the fat 
solidifies, and lift it off the soup.  Refrigerate up to 1  week.  After 3 days,
bring to a boil.  Then boil, skim, and cool every 2  days; or freeze. 

-- Mimi

Mimi's Cyber Kitchen, http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/, the WWW's first food 
portal,  is easier to use, packed with new features and expanded categories 
in a brand-new format. 1000's of recipes & links, hints, recipe board, 
holidays, greeting cards, cookbook reviews.  

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.