Subject: Vegetarian Lentil Crostini
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Mar 2000 12:43:57 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Vegetarian Lentil Crostini

1 cup brown lentils
water to cook lentils
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1 small white or yellow onion, minced finely
1 loaf Italian or French bread

Place lentils in a heavy pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then
lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until soft. Drain the
cooked lentils, reserving the cooking liquid. Pour lentils into food
processor (use metal blade) or blender with the vinegar, pepper, and thyme.
Process or blend into a smooth paste. Add a little of the cooking liquid if
necessary. Scrape into a bowl, and add the onions, mixing well into the
lentils. Slice the bread into half-inch thick slices, preferably cut on a
diagonal. Toast the slices until just lightly browned. Spread each toasted
bread slice with a layer of the lentil paste. Serve as soon as possible.
About 8 servings.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.