Subject: Lentil-Bulghur Salad
From: [email-masked] (Cyclopz)
Date: 16 Aug 1999 06:56:18 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Lentil-Bulghur Salad 
By Carina de Wit-Lord
   
1 cup French lentils 
3 1/2 cups water 
1 cup bulghur wheat, finely cracked variety 
3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted 
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil 
2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice 
2 tablespoons garlic-flavored red wine vinegar 
1 large clove garlic, crushed 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped 
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped 
1 small red onion, finely chopped 
2 stalks celery, finely chopped 
10 radishes, finely chopped 
1/2 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped 
10 sprigs parsley, stems removed, finely chopped 

Place lentils in a sieve, and rinse thoroughly. Transfer lentils to sauce pan 
with 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 
30-45 minutes, until lentils are tender but not mushy. Lentils should hold their
shape.  While lentils are simmering, place the bulghur wheat in a bowl. Boil the
remaining cup of water and pour over the bulghur wheat. Cover and let stand 
until all water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff bulghur wheat with a 
fork.  When the lentils are done, pour off any remaining liquid and let the 
lentils cool.  Heat an iron-cast skillet over high heat. Add walnut pieces and 
stir them constantly with a wooden spoon until they begin to brown. Turn off the
heat and set aside.  In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, 
garlic, and salt and pepper with a fork to make a dressing. Place lentils in a 
large bowl, preferably glass. With a wooden spoon, carefully mix in the bulghur 
wheat, followed by the chopped vegetables and the toasted walnuts. Pour dressing
evenly over the salad, and mix in with a fork. Refrigerate salad at least one 
hour to allow the flavors to blend. 

Suggestions 
French lentils are small, dark-green lentils that can be found in most health
food stores. If they are unavailable, substitute brown lentils. Bulghur wheat
can also be found in health food stores and ethnic groceries. It comes in
several different degrees of coarseness. For this recipe, the finely cracked
variety is preferred. 

For more original vegan recipes, check out CyclOpz Magazine at www.cyclopz.com 
where a new vegan recipe is published in every biweekly issue. Publisher of 
online magazine www.cyclopz.com, an alternative news source with reporting, 
commentary and fiction.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.