Subject: COLLECTION (5) Lebanese Dishes
From: "Linda J. Hutchison" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 May 1997 08:03:44 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

The following recipes are from the Pan American's Complete
Round-the-World Cookbook, Doubleday & C., Inc., 1954.  The inside
cover describes the cookbook as including "recipes gathered by Pan
American Airways from the 81 countries they serve".  Food and travel
comments are included by Myra Waldo.

CURRIED PASTRY

1 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 pound butter
3 Tbsp ice water
3/4 cup milk, scalded
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, beef, or veal

Sift the four (reserving 1 Tbsp) and 1/2 tsp salt.  Cut in half the
butter.  Add ice water gradually, tossing lightly until a ball of
dough forms.  Knead until smooth.  Chill for 15 minutes.  Roll out on
a lightly floured surface.  Flatten all but 1 Tbsp of the remaining
butter and place it on the center of the dough.  Fold dough in half,
then in quarters.  Wrap in wax paper and chill for 1 hour.

Melt remaining butter; add reserved flour and mix to smooth paste. 
Gradually add milk, stirring until boiling.  Add curry and raining
salt; cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add
chopped meat; mix lightly.  Preheat oven to 375.

Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick.  Cut into circles with cookie cutter.
 Place a Tbsp of meat mixture in the center; fold over dough, sealing
edges well.  Place on baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes or until brown.

Makes an excellent appetizer.

TABOOLI (SALAD)

1/2 pound bourghol (cracked wheat)
4 tomatoes, cubed
8 scallions (green onions), slices
6 sprigs parsley, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
Lettuce leaves

Soak cracked wheat in hot water to cover for 2 hours.  Drain
thoroughly.  Combine the tomatoes, scallions, parsley, olive oil,
lemon juice, and salt in a bowl.  Toss together lightly.  Add the
cracked wheat and again toss lightly.  Arrange beds of lettuce leaves
on individual plates.  Sprinkle a few drops of olive oil on each
portion.  Divide the mixture into even portions.  Serve cold.

Note:  In Lebanon a little minced garlic is added to the above
ingredients.  The vegetables are chopped very finely on a chopping
board, combined with the other ingredients, then chilled.  The salad is
served in a large bowl surrounded by individual scoops of crisp
romaine lettuce leaves, and everyone helps him/herself.  Served in
this fashion, it makes a good cocktail accompaniment.  

BAMIYEH (OKRA STEW)

1/4 pound butter
2 3-pound chickens, disjointed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp coriander
2 pounds okra, stems removed
2 cups tomato juice
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Melt butter in saucepan, reserving 2 Tbsp.  Add chicken pieces and
brown well on all sides.  Add garlic and coriander and mix well. 
Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.

In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining butter,  add okra and fry
for 5 minutes.  Add to chicken along with tomato juice, water, salt
and pepper and stir.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. 
Stir carefully so as not to break the okra.  Correct seasoning.  Serve
hot, being careful to lift the okra out of the saucepan gently.

RIZ MAFALFEL (ARABIC RICE)

2 cups rice
5 cups boiling water
2 tsp salt
1/4 pound butter
1/4 cup pine nuts

Wash rice in several changes of water.  Place in bowl and add half of
the boiling water.  Soak for 2 hours.  Rinse with cold water.  Drain
well.  Bring remaining water to an active boil.  Add rice, salt, and
all but 2 Tbsp of butter.  Cover and cook until water is absorbed. 
Melt remaining butter in a skillet.  Add the nuts.  Saute until
lightly browned and sprinkle over the rice.

HREEST AL LOWZ (FARINA DESSERT)

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
3 cups cooked farina or ream of wheat
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Boil the sugar and water in a saucepan until thick and syrupy, about
15 minutes.  Add the butter and farina and stir well until completely
blended.  The mixture should be quite thick.  Pour into individual
serving dishes.  Sprinkle the honey and walnuts on top.  Serve hot.
---------

Linda Hutchison, Information Systems Project Leader                   
Iowa State University Computation Center            Ph:  515-294-1578
291 Durham Center   Fax:515-294-1717
Ames, IA  50011-2251                                         
[email-masked]

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.