Subject: Lamb Shanks With Peppers, Garlic & Cumin
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 2000 12:51:46 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Lamb Shanks With Peppers, Garlic & Cumin

1 tablespoon plus a few drops of olive oil, divided
4 lean lamb shanks trimmed of fat
2 large onions, peeled, ends removed, cut into
1/8-inch dice
1 head garlic, cloves removed, peeled, ends removed, smashed
2 tablespoons ground cumin seed
2 cups dry white wine
1 quart light meat stock (or substitute vegetable stock, light poultry stock or
reduced-sodium canned broth), heated
Sea salt or granulated salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped flat parsley leaves
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
3 garlic cloves, peeled, ends removed, minced
1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
4 tablespoons extra strong mustard
2 large red bell peppers, washed, cored, stems and seeds removed, cut into 
julienne
2 large green bell peppers, washed, cored, stems and seeds removed, cut into 
julienne
4 sprigs fresh rosemary or parsley, washed, dried for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large, deep, heavy, ovenproof skillet, 
heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the lamb shanks 
and sear on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn the shanks on their sides and 
continue browning. Keep turning until all the surfaces have been seared and 
browned, about 6 minutes total. Remove to a plate and set aside. Using the same 
skillet, add the onions and the smashed cloves of garlic. Cook until browned on 
all surfaces, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and cook for 1 minute. Return the 
lamb shanks to the skillet and nestle among the vegetables. Add the white wine 
and hot stock to cover the meaty part of the shanks. Return to a simmer and 
adjust the seasoning generously with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the skillet
with a couple of sheets of foil, dull side up, directly touching the surface of 
the stock and crimped over the edge of the skillet to create a good seal. Cover 
the skillet with a snug ovenproof lid. Place the skillet on the lower rack of 
the oven; cook the shanks until tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Check the 
shanks by inserting a skewer, which should pass through without resistance. 
Remove the skillet from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. While 
the lamb is resting, combine the chopped parsley, lemon rind and half of the 
minced garlic. Chop with a chef's knife to thoroughly combine the ingredients. 
Mix in the bread crumbs. Transfer to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and 
reserve in the refrigerator until ready to use. 

In a large nonstick skillet, heat a few drops of olive oil over high heat. Add 
the the remaining half of the minced garlic and cook for a few seconds without 
browning. Add the peppers and cook until golden on the edges and becoming 
tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon about 2 
cups of the cooking liquids from the shanks over the peppers and allow to reduce
to sauce consistency. Keep warm. Increase the oven temperature to 400 to 450 
degrees. Remove the lamb shanks from the cooking liquids and place on a roasting
or broiling pan. Place on the lower rack of the oven and cook until browned and 
hot, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the mustard. 
Sprinkle the herb crumb mixture over the lamb shanks to coat, applying a little 
pressure with your hand as necessary so it adheres to the meat. Return to the 
oven, cooking until hot and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the 
oven. To serve, divide and mound the pepper mixture and sauce in the center of 
the warm serving plate. Position the lamb shanks atop the peppers. Spoon a 
little of the remaining sauce from the peppers over the shanks. Garnish with the
sprigs of rosemary or parsley. Makes 4 servings. 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.