Subject: Moroccan Lamb with Prunes, Almonds & Apricots Served with Couscous
From: "news.mercuryin.es" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 1999 14:29:14 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Moroccan Lamb with Prunes, Almonds & Apricots Served with Couscous

1 lamb shoulder
2 teaspoons ground cumin pepper, freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2/3 large carrot, coarsely chopped
2/3 courgettes, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups lamb,chicken or veal stock
6 ounces tomatoes, chopped
5 1/2 ounces blanched almonds, toasted
4 ounces pitted prunes
4 ounces dried apricots

Preheat oven to 450 F. Lay lamb skin-side down and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon each
cumin and pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Add 2 tablespoons oil to frying pan, 
stir in onion, carrot, courgette and garlic and, over medium-high heat cook 
until the onion has coloured slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the 
remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin and the rosemary, deglaze the pan with the red 
wine and bring to a boil. Pour in stock, add tomatoes, season with 1/2 teaspoon 
each salt and pepper Cover Lamb with contents of pan and return to oven. Place 
Tin Foil over dish. Braise until almost tender, about 2 hours. Turn Lamb twice. 
Remove the meat  and discard from bone. Place the meat in the sauce, surround 
with the almonds, prunes and apricots and return to the oven for 15 minutes 
longer, until the lamb is very tender and the dried fruit is soft. If the sauce 
thickens too much, add a little more stock.  In separate bowl prepare Couscous -
add a little butter and alternatively corn and raisins

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.