Subject: Korean Kinchee Jigae
From: Bonnie Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Aug 1997 05:14:19 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Here's my mom's recipe (slightly altered by me) for this traditional *and
yummy!) Korean soup:

I can't give exact proportions, I do it by sight and taste

KIMCHEE JIGAE

Sesame Oil (12 T)
Freshly chopped garlic (about 1 T)
Chopped pork, or if you don't have it, some cut up SPAM works (REALLY!)
Lots of Kimchee!! And lots of the marinade as well
Water
Cut up scallions for garnish
FIRM Tofu (the Korean/oriental tofu, not the American kind in paper
boxes)
**Anchovies, BUT I prefer using the anchovy powder. I'm not sure what the
American name would be for it.. its something dashida, just ask someone at
a Korean grocery (ask for anchovy powder). On the cover of the plastic bag
there will be a picture of anchovies.
OPTIONAL: some Korean rice cakes

In a large pot, add the sesame oil.  When hot, add the garlic and pork or
SPAM. Fry until almost golden. Then add lots of kimchee, as much or as
little as you want.  I cook it for about 10 minutes.  Then add water and
kimchee marinade until the pot is almost full. If you don't have a lot of
marinade, don't add too much water or else the jigae will be watered down
(duh). As soon as the soup is nice and bubbly, add about 2 T of the
anchovy powder (this is the base flavor of the soup besides the kimchee).
2 T should be enough. Don't add too much. Cook the soup about 10 more
minutes and then taste the soup.  If you added the right proportions, it
should taste great! If you're not Korean, you will have trouble figuring
out what it should taste like; so I suggest eating it at a GOOD Korean
restaurant before trying to cook this yourself! I add the tofu (cut)
towards the end. Then simmer for a few more minutes. (Soup should be a
bright red-orange).  Some people like adding some Korean rice cakes to
this soup. Add them right at the end; it only takes a minute or two for
them to cook.  Garnish with scallions and other greens if you like. Serves
anywhere from 3-6 people.  You can save leftovers in the fridge, but it
gets hotter (spicier) each day stored.

ENJOY!!!

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.