Subject: Tame Kimchi
From: "Strawberry Girl" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Aug 1999 06:46:58 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This might not be exactly what was requested, but it's cabbage & it's hot. And, 
as an added bonus, it tastes good too. It's very garlicky!!

TAME KIMCHI

Source: "Vegetarian Planet" by Didi Emmons

1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
2 small carrots, julienned, grated or sliced fine
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds nappa cabbage (half a medium head), cored and sliced into 
1-inch strips
1/4 cup kosher or sea salt
5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 to 3 tsp hot chile sauce, or 1 tsp chile flakes
2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp canola or corn oil

In large bowl, combine the red onion, carrots, cabbage, and salt. Add just 
enough water to cover the vegetables. Let them sit at room temperature 
overnight.  The next day, drain the vegetables. Add the remaining ingredients, 
and toss well. Chill the salad for at least 1 hour before serving. It will keep 
in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.  

Variation: This kimchi doesn't undergo a fermenting process, as real kimchi 
does. If you'd like to ferment this kimchi, omit the oil, and put the mixture 
into a large sterilized jar. Let the kimchi stand at room temperature for 2-4 
days, opening the jar once a day to let out the gases that build up. Store the 
kimchi in the refrigerator after this period. It will keep for several weeks.

Serves 6

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.