Subject: Collection (4) Kimchi
From: "Fred Towner" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 1999 06:38:39 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Spicy Korean Kinchi
Kimchi
Casual Kimchi
Kimchee

>From: "Mark Burton" <[email-masked]>
>Our family is looking for a Kimchee (Kimchi) recipe. Any suggestions
>please?

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

    Title: Spicy Korean Kimchi
 Categories: Conserves, Korean, Relishes, Vegetables
    Yield: 1 pound

    1 lb Chinese cabbage
    2 Tbsp Salt
    4 cup  Cold water
    2 cup  Very hot water

MMMMM----------------PICKLING MIXTURE
    1 Tbsp Finely chopped garlic
    1 Tbsp Finely chopped fresh ginger
    1 Tbsp Finely chopped scallions
    2 tsp Finely chopped dried chile
    2 tsp Sugar
    1 Tbsp Salt

Separate the leaves & sprinkle them with the salt. Pour in the cold
water and allow them to stand in a cool place for 8 hours or
overnight. Rinse the cabbage well and squeeze out the excess liquid.
Boil the water and pour over the pickling mixture. Mix well and
combine with the cabbage leaves. Put the leaves with the pickling
mixture into a large glass bowl. You may have to cut the leaves in
half to make them fit. Cover the kimchi with plastic wrap and leave
in a cool place for about 2 days. Drain and cut the leaves into
bite-size pieces. Pack into a glass jar until ready to serve.
Makes 1 Pound

Ken Hom, "Prodigy Guest Chefs Cookbook"

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

    Title: Kimchi (Korean Cabbage Relish)
 Categories: Vegetables, Relishes, Korean, Spicy
    Yield: 1 servings

    1    Head Chinese cabbage
         - cut into 1/2-in. strips
    3 Tbsp Salt
    6    Green onions; chopped
         - (or less, if desired)
    3    Garlic clove; minced
         - (or less, if desired)
  1/2 tsp Crushed dried hot red chile
    1 tsp Chopped gingerroot

Soak cabbage in salted water to cover 5 to 10 hours. Drain. Combine
cabbage with salt, green onions, garlic, chile and gingerroot. Mix
well and spoon into large jar. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 days
before using. Keeps well several weeks. Use as relish or salad.

Makes about 1 quart

 From: L. A. Times

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

    Title: Casual Kimchi (Korean Mak Kimchi I)
 Categories: Vegetables, Salads, Korean
    Yield: 16 Servings

    4 lb Chinese cabbage (the long-
         Straight leafed variety)
  1/4 lb Chinese turnip
    2 cn Flat anchovies
    4    Cloves Garlic (or 5)
    3    Scallions
  1/4 cup  Salt
    4 Tbsp Hot pepper flakes
    2 Tbsp Cayenne pepper

Remove the large outside leaves of the cabbage. Cut them in half
lengthwise, then cut across the grain into 2-inch lengths. Cut all the
inside leaves into 2-inch lengths at the same time. Place the cabbage
in a very large pot.

Quarter the turnip, then slice across the grain holding the 4
quarters together for more speed and convenience in slicing.

Pour the oil from the anchovies over the cabbage and turnip.
Slice the anchovies across the grain. Crush the garlic. Cut the
scallions into 2-inch lengths, then slice thin lengthwise. Add these
ingredients to the pot. Season with salt, pepper flakes and cayenne
pepper, and mix thoroughly. Cover the pot and let the mixture stand
at room temperature for 2 days. Casual kimchi will keep at least 10
days. Refrigerate in a jar.

MMMMM

Kimchee

This is a recipe for kimchee that comes form an older Korean lady
named, Myong R. Yi. Her son translated for me as she told me the
recipe. I have eaten this kimchee for many years and love it. Enjoy!

 Myong's Kim Chee

 1 head bok choi ( napa, etc) chopped into pieces 2" x1"
 1 or 2 dai-ko (daikon) radishes sliced thinly
 2 carrots shredded
 8 -12 garlic cloved thinly sliced and 2 more crushed
 1 1/2 cup sea salt
 1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed and flaked dried red peppers
 1 handful (approx. 1/3 to1/2 cup fresh ginger root slices
 1 cup coarsely chopped scallions
 1 or 2 Japanese (Korean) horseradishes
 2 cups water (boiled)
 2 cups rice vinegar
 3 Tbsp sesame seeds

 Mix all dry ingredients together. Place in a large crockery or glass
 container that can be sealed airtight. Pour liquids over them, vinegar
 first. If the veggies are not covered by the liquid add more
 vinegar...NOT water!

 Seal jar and place into refrigerator for 2-12 weeks.

NOTE: The refrigeration is necessary to prevent spoilage. In Korea this
 is usually done in late Fall & Winter to be opened in the Spring!
 There are other types of kim chee called Summer Kim Chee, Light
 Kim Chee, and Moon Kim Chee.

Original Poster Unknown

>From the recipe collection of Fred Towner

.... Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Requests/Recipes go to [email-masked];
Questions/Comments to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.