Subject: Kimchee (5) Collection
From: [email-masked] (Charise)
Date: 3 Jun 2000 12:04:24 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Napa Kimchee (jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet)
Kim Chee
Kim Chee 
Kim Chee 
Kim Chee 

Here's a few kimchee recipes:

Napa Kimchee (jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet)

 Categories: Vegetables 
      Yield: 6 servings 
  
      6 lb Napa cabbage 
    3/4 cup  Korean pickling salt or 
      8    Scallions, finely chopped 
           Kosher salt 
  1 1/2 cup  Carrot, shredded 
      2 T  Fresh ginger, grated 
      2 T  Garlic, finely chopped 
      2 T  Candied ginger 
      2 t  Sugar 
    1/2 cup  Korean red pepper flakes 
      1 T  Salt 
  
So many crazy stories have been told about Kimchee that many Americans are 
reluctant to try the dish. No, it is not buried in the ground in this country, 
and yes, it is delicious and much milder than you would expect. You can vary the
spiciness by varying the amount of red pepper that you put into the dish. 
Wonderful stuff !! Remove limp outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the 
cabbage lengthwise, then cut across the quarters into 1 1/2 inch-wide pieces. 
Put the cabbage in a very large bowl and add the pickling salt. Toss so the salt
coats the cabbage evenly. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Toss the cabbage a 
couple of times during that time. Rinse the cabbage with cold water and drain. 
Toss with the remaining ingredients and pack into a large crock or covered 
pottery casserole. Add water to cover, about 3 cups. Allow to sit on the counter
for 1 to 2 days. Store in the refrigerator, covered, in the crock or in 
individual glass jars. Serve as a relish with any Korean dinner or use in 
cooking meat or soup dishes.    

Kim Chee 
(Korean Pickled Vegetables)

Makes about 1 quart

1 lb  Chinese (celery or Nappa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
6 Tbs salt
4 green onions (including tops), finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs paprika
Cayenne pepper
2 cups water

Sprinkle the cabbage with 5 tablespoons of the salt.  Let stand for 2 hours.  
Rinse off salt and drain.  Add the green onions, ginger, garlic, sugar, paprika,
the remaining salt and a dash of cayenne pepper, and mix thoroughly.  Pack the 
vegetables in a jar and pour in the water. Cover tightly.  Refrigerate the 
vegetables for 24 hours before serving. 

Kim Chee 
(Kyabetsu Su-zuke - Japanese Vinegar-Pickled Cabbage)

1/4 head Chinese cabbage
5 cups rice vinegar
2 Tbs salt
4-5 Tbs sugar
2 cups water
1-inch square yuzu citron or lemon rind

Core and wash the cabbage.  Pat as dry as possible with a towel.  Cut into about
1 x 2-inch chunks.  Place chunks loosely in a pickle crock. In a saucepan 
combine the rice vinegar, salt, sugar and water.  Bring to a boil over high 
heat, stirring once or twice.  Immediately pour boiling liquid over the cabbage 
in the crock.  Tuck in the yuzu citron or lemon rind.  Cover immediately with a 
drop-lid and weight it.  Remove to a cool dark place and wait 2 days before 
eating.  To serve:  Cut or chop chunks into bite-size pieces.  Serve family 
style or put individual portions into small dishes.  Season with a few drops of 
soy sauce, if desired.  Keeps refrigerated 1-2 months. 

Kim Chee
(Korean Pickled Cabbage)

About 1 quart

2 lbs celery cabbage
1/2 cup coarse salt
4 cups water
1-1/2 Tbs crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 Tbs granulated sugar
2 green onions, finely chopped

 Rinse the cabbage in cold water and drain.  Cut the cabbage into 1-1/2-inch 
squares.  Sprinkle with salt, add the water, and let stand overnight. Rinse the 
cabbage in cold water and drain.  Using a wooden spoon, blend the remaining 
ingredients and stir this well into the cabbage pieces. Pack into a quart jar 
and cover.  Place the jar in a plastic bag to prevent the odors from spreading 
to other foods.  Refrigerate and let stand four to five days to cure.  

Kim Chee 

Makes 5 cups

5 cups cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
6 Tbs salt
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp to 2 Tbs crushed red pepper flakes (according to taste)
1/4 tsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped

In a large colander, mix cabbage with 5 Tbs salt.  Let sit for 3 hours. Rinse 
cabbage thoroughly 2 or 3 times.  Gently squeeze out excess liquid with your 
hands. Place the drained cabbage in a large glass bowl.  Add the remaining 
ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover cabbage mixture tightly with plastic wrap 
and let sit at room temperature for 1 or 2 days. Chill Kim Chee before serving.
`

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.