Subject: Kimchee
From: [email-masked] (BunnySlippers)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:05:51 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

In article "RACHEL CHISM" <[email-masked]>
> Does anybody out there have good recipes for Kimchee?  I'm really homesick
> for it. Thanks a lot.

This is the recipe that I use most consistently for kimchee.

KIMCHEE 

All measurements are approximate as it really isn't necessary to be
exacting in the preparation of this dish. 

two pounds or one large Nappa cabbage 
3 Tbsp rock salt 
1 bunch scallions 
5 Tbsp minced ginger or to taste 
2 Tbsp garlic or to taste 
a sprinkle of sugar 
1/4 cup soy or to taste 
1/2 cup white cider vinegar 
1 to 3 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper 
Liberal sprinkling of red chili flakes 

Core Nappa cabbage and cut into large squares.  Layer in a deep bowl
alternating with the rock salt.  Weight with a plate and a heavy object
and let sit for 4 hours as the water exudes from the cabbage. 
Empty cabbage into a colander and briefly rinse off the salt.  Place in a
kitchen towel and gently squeeze out the water. 
Place the cabbage in a bowl and add the trimmed scallions cut into 3-4
inch lengths.  Add ginger, garlic, a sprinkle of sugar, soy, vinegar and
chilies to taste.  Again weight with a plate and heavy object.  Cover with
a kitchen towel and let sit at room temperature for 24 to 72 hours. 
Refrigerate.
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.